Request Advice Regarding 1863 Sporting Rifle .54cal

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bearbait2

Request Advice Regarding 1863 Sporting Rifle .54cal

Post by Bearbait2 »

Please advise as to whether the 1863 is a breech loader or not? If it is, how large of a paper cartridge (powder weight) will it accomidate?
What is the rifling twist rate? (Trying to determine if it is designed for round ball or slug.)
If it is not a breech loader, what is the maximum powder charge recommended?
Your assistance in this matter is most appreciated.
Shoot Straight
Amigo

1863 Sporting rifle

Post by Amigo »

Hi
Yes thre 1863 Sharps is a breech loader.The metallic cartridge version
the 1874 Sharps is a conversion of the 63.The 63 Sporting rifle has a 100
grain chamber I believe(could be larger) with the military version having
a slightly smaller chamber.Also, though you could fire a round ball in it
by breech seating or muzzle loading with the breech closed, the sharps is meant to be used with a conical bullet(slug).Not having fired a round ball in the Sharps I can t tell you what the accuracy would be.The 63 can be loaded in three ways, with paper loaded cartridges, by breech seating the bullet and using loose powder and by muzzle loading though I would think few actually do this as the 63 is a breech loader after all so why would you.
I have to admit that I have fondness for the 63 Sharps over the 74 and
have a 63 sporting rifle being made at the present.It will be like some of the earlier sporting rifles with a30 " heavy half round barrel, pewter forend
tip and a patch box.
I hope this answers some of your questions and you decide to get a 63 as we need more guys on our side instead of them ole nasty 74 guys.

Amigo
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Amigo,
Thanks for the help.
Shoot Straight
JMLange

Advice Regarding 1863 Sporting Rifle 54 Cal.

Post by JMLange »

Some where, either on this board or the N-SSA board, someone was shooting round balls in his Sharps with surpisingly good accuracy. I thought that accuracy would suffer, but apparently not. All you would have to do is seat the correct size ball with a dowel, and pour in your powder charge.

John
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Once I recieve my 63 I plan on experimenting with some diffeent loads and bullets and I plan on giving the round ball a try too.I believe the percussion Sharps have a 1 in 48 twist so it might just do good with a ball.
Should be something like the screw barrel pistols using a slightly oversized ball or one of bore diameter causing the ball to totally fill the bore.I have a ferguson rifle that I am building that works on the same principal.Should be fun to see how the two compare.

Amigo
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Did not know about the one in 48" twist for Shilo Rifles. Have not had the good fortune to own one as yet. However, personal experience with several other brands of this twist in various calibers, have never provided "good" accuracy with either round ball or conical. I appreciate that each weapon is a law unto it's self. Will have to review this matter before making a choice. Thanks for the help.
Shoot Straight
gmartin

To Bearbait, Re: Information on sporter 1863 rifle , bullets

Post by gmartin »

Sir, My 63' carbine once shot rather well with Minie balls borrowed from a friend in a club shoot in AK. when I ran out of ammunition. I hit silhouettes with his balls for a .577 Enfield. Regular paper ctgs. of 60 grns. Just dropped them in. Also, another time same situation, borrowed .58 cal round balls (.570?) and seated them with my Shilo wooden starter they used to provide. Believe I hit targets, it was so long ago. All just for your information. Have not tried any of this since. Trying to find another bullet for my 63'. Best to you, Gregg.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

gmartin, I had a 63 made by a furin company. It Always Broke so I sent it back to the factory.
I purchased a mould that is hollowbase and adjustable. If you contact me by PM, and provide your address, I will send you some of the leftovers for you to try. If you like them I will make you a great deal on the mould. These bullets shot well but the fouling jammed the action to the point that I had to pour water in it to open it.
Trigger Dr jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
gmartin

request advice regarding 1863 rifle .54 cal.

Post by gmartin »

Trigger Doctor,

Sir, the Breech sticking in your "furin" 63' also happens in Shilos' esp. here in southwest Idahos' 100 degree summer days and 13% humidity. I shoot marathon session in this heat and it's unavoidable. Going to try a blowtube I've developed for it. I would not blame your bullet. Also, my Shilo wore out a tumbler after 25 years, (so did the originals I understand) and the Lawrence breech gas seal was found to need replacing when I sent the gun in for repair. But, your "other sharps" always broke is point well taken. I think I know the maker. Yes sir, I would indeed enjoy trying some "leftovers" and am pretty sure I'd be interested in the mould, only caceat might be that hollow base, hmmm. My address is Gregg Martin, 2930 Canal St. Boise, Id. 83705. Very kind of you for responding to me. By the way, Simple Green, a household cleaner, will loosen a stuck breech quite well. Gregg
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

GMARTIN
The bullets shot well for me, but the "rifle" was a P.O.S--T. Made by
I(t) A(lways) B(roke). I will send you some leftovers, can't gaurantee the quality as they are "leftovers". As far as the hollow base, this is an adjustable mould that measures.444 infront of the first driving band, .520 on the first band, .530 on the second and third bands, and, .542 on the base band. The base plug can be machined to be flat, cupped, or whatever shape you want, very easily.

Jim milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
gmartin

To Trigger Dr..Re: Requesting advice regarding 1863 sporting

Post by gmartin »

Trigger Doctor,

Am anxiously awaiting those "Left Overs", that is kind of you. Indeed, you are correct about machining the mould to my specs. All of this because I believe my old mould is beat up from unintentional abuse when I knew not what. Cost to me for post? Let me do what I may. I was trained to start my bullets with a starter, thus my concern about the hollow base.

Thanks again, Gregg