Crossno 22 Caliber Liner and Shiloh Carbine

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marshal Deadwood

Crossno 22 Caliber Liner and Shiloh Carbine

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

Are he 22 calibre liners capable of excellent accuracy (I'm thinking squirrel hunting here) and..........if one had a Shiloh Carbine, could the inserted liner be shortened to the 22" barrel lenght to match the carbine barrel ?.........with no ill effects to accuracy ?

That would really be a neat reason for me to look at a '74 carbine for my next rifle,,,,would be kewl to squirrel hunt with a Sharps.

Just muzin' here, and wondering what ya'll think.

MD
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Google Dave Crossno and get his contact info. Probably pretty simple custom request.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Crossno insert with a 30" Montana Roughrider. Left and right were sighters. 100 yards from a rest. Bulk Winchester ammo.

Clark B

Post by Clark B »

So I guess that target or similar grade .22 would possibly tighten up a bit?
bobw

Post by bobw »

OK, you asked for opinions. You don't want to hear the bad with the good don't ask for them. I don't have a Crossno liner or any other kind. Why would anybody who gives a crap about keeping his Shiloh in good shape ever use a screwdriver to extract his empties using the barrel face and rim cut as a fulcrum point for the screwdriver? I just gotta hear this ,flame away! bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bob the screw driver never really comes into contact with the barrel face . The liner is offset inside a cartridge case and a groove cut in the base of that case to use as a guide for installation and using the screw driver for extraction.
CD Mitchell set up a Browning hiwall with a 3006 extractor and turned the Crossno liner upside down, the extractor would catch the 22 rim enough to kick em out. That set up was his dedicated 22 gun for quite awhile, might still be.

I really don't know as there would be any real reason to have a liner shortened other than cosmetics, to go into a carbine length barrel. If it stuck out an inch or two , you'ld just need to watch leaning the thing up against a tree.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

No flame, but there's no reason for a screwdriver to touch the action or barrel. The "head" of a Crossno liner is a .45-70 case with a slot cut in it. Picture the diameter difference between a .22 rf and a .45-70. The screwdriver goes in the slot and you just flip the empty .22 case out. The greater risk is scratching the loading groove in the Shiloh action when you do the flip, but that can be avoided if you're careful.

Paul
First I shot over, then I shot under; the third time I missed.
hotshoe

Post by hotshoe »

most times I find I left the screw driver at the house and just use my fingernail or a spent 22 case to flip the case out of the liner. Don't over think it. The liner I have shoots great. Just grease the heck out of it before you insert into the rifle
havnt been there havnt done that----BUT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RIDE!!
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I've also used a 30-06 extractor in my Browning 45-70 Traditional Hunter with a Crossno liner. It works great and really zings the empties out.

I'll bet a clever person might be able to do the same thing with a Shiloh using a slightly modified 38-55 extractor.

Steve
Marshal Deadwood

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

Another question, guys. Would the .22 liner work in a Pedersoli Sharps ?

I have a Ped,,that since I've become addicted to SHilohs,,,I don't hunt with that much,,,and might just use the liner in it,,for practice and some squirrel hunting stuff.

Thanks for helping a 'lesser knowledgeable' person in ya'll's area of expertise.

MD
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

They'll work in about any single shot rifle, just as long as the liner is chambered for the same cartridge the rifle is.
Bruised

Post by Bruised »

Marshall, the Crossno liner is more than accurate enough for small game hunting but be aware. The Liners that I have usually take 3 shots to settle in and put all remaining shots in the group. Our liners are capable of master class 22 BPCR scores, just ask my wife. I've never had any contact with the "ejector" and the reciever and have fired thousands of rounds through the liner. With just a little practice the case removal becomes second nature.I posted some pictures somewhere on this forum a while back, do a search for Crossno liner. Hope this helps.
Bobby
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

MD, to answer your question, yes they can be accurate. Off the top of my head I forget how long they are but you may be just fine with a 22" barrel on the carbine. I say this because I have one of the liners and can tell you if you shoot several thousand rds through it in the "normal" length 30'+ Shiloh, there will be some ?gas cutting or powder deposition on the muzzle end of the liner about 2/3 up through the barrel that is a real booger to clean out if you take the liner out. The liners can be surprisingly accurate but if I used one again I would have it where it goes all the way to the muzzle end of the parent gun. Your carbine may work just fine with this setup.
Keith Lay
Wildbear

Post by Wildbear »

I had a Crossno but sold it when my wife found me a Ballard 3F. I forget how long it was, but a carbine with a full length insert sounds like the cats' PJs. Could one of you guys that has one measure it and post ?? This sounds like a good excuse for another Shiloh!!
Wildbear
"It ain't just what you do, but where you do it"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Crown to rim 25 3/4 inches.