Old 45-120

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

50 Calshtr

Old 45-120

Post by 50 Calshtr »

Folks,
I have an old Shiloh #3 45-120, SN 1407, I purchased in 1978 and took delivery of in 1979. I haven't fired it in 20 years due to military service but now that I'm retired I'd like to get back into it. I don't intend to shoot at more than 200 yds due to range limitations. This rifle has a long throat, about .6 inches, so I'm guessing a bullet like the RCBS 500 gr GC with driving bands closer to the nose would work better than more conventional designs. Has anyone used this bullet or had experience with one of these older long throated rifles?
Thanks
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I have an old 50 with the long throat and I have an on again off again good time with it its about 20 yrs old also I am going to try a wrapped bullet 2 thousands smaller than the throat and seated to the lands and see how that will work I turned some that I cast down and pp them and they showed promice probably not match quality but I have a blast shooting it
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
50 Calshtr

Post by 50 Calshtr »

Powder Burner
Thanks for the reply. I think what I'll do is maybe get the Lyman 458677 with the longer driving bands and cast it in heat treated wheel weights so it won't distort to much jumping from the case to the rifling. I'll lube it full length but only seat it half way in the case and just wrap the exposed lube with teflon tape or plastic food wrap that I can remove before chambering to keep it clean. Should be able to get about 115 gr of Fg in the case with a drop tube and top it with a wad. Does this sound do-able? Can't bear the cost of rebarreling aat this point.