3F in the 40-65

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt Henry

3F in the 40-65

Post by Capt Henry »

Has anyone had any luck with using 3F in the 40-65. I am currently using the PJ Creedmoor bullet and have had some success with Swiss 1 1/2, but not got where I wish to be with the rifle yet.
I am currently loading 57 grains of Swiss with a .060 wad over all lenght set at 3.00 since switching to the Paul Jones bullet things have really improved, (learning to cast a good bullet did not hurt either :) ). I am currently loading for a Browning BPCR.

RollandH
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Capt, I have tried Goex 3F in both the .40-65 and .38-55 and only got mediocre results. Have had excellent accuracy using Goex Ctg in both rounds as well as in my .45-90. My .45-70's seem to like Swiss 2F. Just haven't had much luck with the 3F in anything. Randy
Randy Ruwe
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

In my first few attempts at loading 40-70SS cartridges, I used GOEX 3F. It was the only granulation that I had at the time. I used a very mildly compressed load of about 59 grains. The results were not very good, but in truth, there were probably a lot of other problems with my loads and loading technique.

On a trip to Colorado, I stopped at Dixie Gun Works and purchased 25 lbs of GOEX Cartridge. I am now on the threshold of getting excellent accuracy. Although 3F is safe,I believe that "Cartridge" is a much better powder.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Rolland,
One of the fellas who shoots with us up here in the great northwest has a Browning in 40-65, that I believe has never had anything but 3f shot in it. He is generally the man to beat at any match. So, I think you could say that 3f works just fine in that caliber.
LJ
Al

Post by Al »

I shoot 3f swiss in my 40-65 and have had very good results. The load I use is 45.7 gr of 3f swiss, a .060 walters wad, and a 400gr snover bullet. My best 10 shot group was 2-3/4" x 1-3/4" at 200 yards. The brass used was winchester and there was zero compression on the powder. I hope this is of help.
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Al
That sounds encouraging, I have been wanting to try 3F, I have a can taking up space on the shelf :P
I am waiting for an order of WW brass, hope to start next week on the 3F project.

RollandH

Assault is a behavior, not a device
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
big country

fffg

Post by big country »

I shoot silhouette with 40/60 maynard using goex fffg and snover .410. I have tried various loads,compression,and bullets,and can't seem to get a real good group with 3f. I am about convinced that I need to try goex cart. Can't afford swiss.
Al

Post by Al »

I forgot to say in my other post that I use federal 150 large pistol primers with that load. The other bullet that works well for me is the 380gr saeco. I just got a Paul Jones 400gr mould but have not shot any of those bullets yet.
Bob De La Torre

Post by Bob De La Torre »

I have had a lot of success with 3F Swiss in 40-65, pushing a Paul Jones 422 grain bullet. I use very thin cardboard wads, less than .030 for that round and pistol primers.

Best of Luck.
Bob
Do it with a PP 90!
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Nice shooting Bob!

Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.