Does a Sharps shoot high on first shot?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

newshooter

Does a Sharps shoot high on first shot?

Post by newshooter »

I've got a question that probably most of you can answer. Does a Sharps rifle shoot high on the first shot? I believe I've read that they shoot high at first, which doesn't make sense to me, but shoot level on subsequent shots. The trouble with that statement is that I recently read in an old account that the Sharps shoots well on the first shot but would start shooting high if the barrel wasn't kept clean. :?:
slap head

Post by slap head »

New shooter Just a beginers thoughts but if I run a dry patch through my barrel before I shoot to remove any oil left in the barrel I can shoot a nice tight group without having to shoot a fouling shot.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Almost every BP shooter I know or have seen puts at least one fouling shot downrange before shooting for record. Reason seems pretty self evident after you have been shooting for a while. A spanking new, clean bore without any BP residue is going to shoot differently than one which has had a round or two through it. All BP rifles, not just Sharps, seem to be affected this way. That is one reason that shooters in nearly all BP disciplines are allowed a fouling shot or sighters before shooting for record. Hope this helps, Randy :D
Randy Ruwe
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

[quote="Omaha Poke"]Almost every BP shooter I know or have seen puts at least one fouling shot downrange before shooting for record. Reason seems pretty self evident after you have been shooting for a while. A spanking new, clean bore without any BP residue is going to shoot differently than one which has had a round or two through it. All BP rifles, not just Sharps, seem to be affected this way. That is one reason that shooters in nearly all BP disciplines are allowed a fouling shot or sighters before shooting for record. Hope this helps, Randy :D[/quote]
I figured that to be the case, that a shot would be affected. Is there a tendency for a rifle to shoot high or low and is it predictable as to which the gun will do? ( I do know that a hunter should familiarize themselves with their weapon before a hunt, not during.)
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

newshooter,
Generally, the first shot out of a clean or pre-treated barrel will be high.
However, one of my rifles will consistently put the first shot left if pre-treated. It kind of depends on your rifle.
LJ