Opinion on best Rifle for silhouette and possibly long range

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

DED,

I recently purchased a 40-65 Saddle Rifle off the shelf from the good folks at Shiloh. One of the best things I've done in awhile. It is now my primary hunting rifle and silhouette rifle. I've several 45-70's and one 45-90. Trapdoor, Rolling Block, Highwall and Sharps. Near as I can tell I got the main four players covered. The 40-65 is fast becoming my favorite rifle. With a 28" Heavy Barrel it handles nicely.

TL
charles vail

45-70 at 1000

Post by charles vail »

In my limited experience shooting a 45-70 at 1000 yards I think its completely capable of making the trip. I have been shooting modern 1K BR for five years and recently got the chance to try a Browning 1885 in 45-70 at 1000 yards using 540 grain lead and black cartridges. We got about 6 out of ten on a NBRSA 1K target using irons. The holes were round enough with no apparent keyholing only a little elongation due to entry angle. My own Rolling block sports a 34 inch barrel and has a throated chamber in 45-70 that I think will do fine. My best at 200 has been three shots (I know what you are thinking) into 1 1/4 inches using black and 535 grain Postells. I can't wait to try more at 1K and will soon get the chance as I have a 1K range about ten miles from home and our local club is just starting its BPCR program. At long range its all about barrel twist and bullet length as long as sufficient velocity is there from the muzzle. Time may school me on the fine points but my modern experience at 1K BR seems to be of some help. :D Can't wait to burn some black powder and sling heavy lead!!! What a blast.......more fun than the modern stuff!!!