Buffalo tounge...yuck!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

A friend owns a freight company, and I occasionally drive for him when business gets heavy. His girlfriend's parents own a game farm, and her brother runs the place. This is a FREE RANGING HUNT on 1200 arcres in eastern Washington. The $2.00 a pound is on the carcass weight AFTER field dressing, skinning and head removal. Tihs translates into 500-600 pounds of meat. Total cost of the hunt if you take all the meat is around $1200. If you are not trophy hunter, partner up with some one who is, split the cost of the meat. All butchering is up to you. They will field dress, skin, etc. If you want the meat processed they will recommend a local butcher for the job. I spoke with Dave by phone last night and at the present time he plans on culling only 3 bulls this November, and asked that I not let more than an equal number of persons know the location, as he has a small herd and wants to build it up a little more. I do not want to build this up too much, but maybe I already have.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
JMLange

Buffalo tounge

Post by JMLange »

I just got through reading "The Great Buffalo Hunt". The hunters smoked the tounges before shipping them east.

John :)
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

you'd have a hell of a time rolling them tounges in cigarette papers you would think.... :P
Omak Cowboy

tounges

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Joe, you are a sick, sick man!

everybody knows they are for pipes!
Omak :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Smoking the tounge.... man which end do you light up :shock:
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

well...you light the unfiltered end of course! :roll:
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Trigger Dr, the $100 sounds great, however the $2.00 per pound for the meat brings the price of the hunt right back up to or exceeding the cost of most other hunts. My hunt in ND was $800. That included the head, hide, and meat. $50 for the butcher to skin and gut. .37 cents a pound for cutting and wrapping. In other words about $1450 total.

We also got to choose our own animal out of a large herd and were not subject to only a choice of one of three that are being culled.

I have since found a couple of ranches that offer a meat cow or meat bull hunt for around $400. These also include all the meat, head, hide, etc.

It is a buyers market right now for buffalo hunts unless you want a massive old trophy bull which are only good for buger, sausage, or jerky. They will usually cost $2000 and up depending on how proud the rancher is of the animal.

I am going to continue to do some shopping and in the meantime enjoy the meat from the last hunt. What a treat :!: :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Dr, forgot to say that the $100 is a great price if one only wanted to hunt and have the head and hide :!: :!: :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Randy,
You make a good point. I have already convinced two of my kids to buy in on the meat, as well as a local butcher that will cut and wrap for a portion. Also the top price is $1200 excluding transportation. I have a taxidermist friend that will mount the head for the robe or tan the robe for the head. If that is not ok with me he will buy both the head and robe for processing and re sale. I win either way. As far as trophies, pictures are just fine, don't take up space and do not need dusting. easy to carry in your wallet and store on the computer.
I just want the opportunity to make the shot and get a few pounds of meat while helping my family.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation