Front sight

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

6.5Jeffrey

Front sight

Post by 6.5Jeffrey »

I have a Shiloh 1874 Roughrider in 40/65, all standard configuration.
What is the size of the front sight dovetail and what will the height be of the front blade?
I have installed a tang sight and now need a taller front sight. Thinking about globe/spirit level/windage adjustable, anyone have experience with the Ukranian sights being sold by Buffalo Arms
deerhuntsheatmeup

Heilman

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I just installed a Heilman sight set up on a 44 1/2 and the front sight is highly recommended by me. Trigger Doc needs to jump in here and fill in with Ron's phone and email. The Heilman sight uses Lyman 17A inserts and the spirit level is inside the globe similar to a baldwin except the Heilman has a skylight. Their is a large choice of inserts for the Lyman 17A. Enjoy, Barvid
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

You can contact ron at 253-840-2623 or mail him at 16010 92nd Ave Ct E
Puyallup, Wa. 98375 his e-mail is r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net

Jim Milner (Trigger Dr)
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The good Doctor is too modest to say it, so I will. The sky-light feature that lets in additional illumination inside the globe to make the spirit level and the sight easier to see was his idea. Ron thought it was good and now makes all of them that way. So far I only have six of Ron's front sights. I lile them.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I meant to say that "I like them". Oh well, I never was a very good typist.
Lee Stone
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I have one of Ron's front sights, and three of Steve Baldwin's front sights. Both utilize the, "inside the globe spirit level" and If I am not mistaken Steve Baldwin had his out first by a number of years. Both work great, and are comparably priced. Both come with decent sight inserts, although I wish both would either make or supply the Ron Snover or IXL sight inserts. They are the best on the market in my oppinion. You can get them for Ron Heilman's sight but so far I don't think you can for the Baldwin. Ron's sight takes the standard Lyman 17A inserts, so Mr Snover's inserts will fit in it.

The interior spirit level (inside the globe) is visible in just about any lighting condition, and shows up the best of any that I have tried, which is just about all of them.

I have two sets of Ukranian rear sights and they work great, however I have them teamed up with a Baldwin and an MVA front. If there front is as good as the rear they also would be worth a good look-see. I still prefer the interior spirit level though. That is the best choice in my view. Randy
Randy Ruwe
obwhan

Post by obwhan »

:lol: I went over to Ron's house Thur.the 11th and had him install a new front globe site. I LIKE IT. Also got some Lee Shaver inserts for it they seem to be finer than the lyman inserts. Hell of a nice person. Good horse trader to.
Shiloh U of Montana #4 45-70 USN RET. AD1 (AW)(SW) In the wet world of Oak Harbor WA.
"People sleep peaceably in there beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
6.5Jeffrey

Post by 6.5Jeffrey »

Gonna stop listening to you guys...another check in the mail.
Thanks for the replies.