Value of a 50-140 Farmingdale

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scrapiron

Value of a 50-140 Farmingdale

Post by Scrapiron »

I have inherited a Model 1874 Business Sharps Round barrel 50-140 with buckhorn sights, Farmingdale, NY. Its in great condition but kicks like a mule. Any idea what it is worth or where I could research? I talked to Shiloh and they suggested I try their forum. Thanks! Scrapiron
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I recently observed one as you describe at the Puyallup Wa gun show. Mike Percival had it on his table, and I believe he had it priced about $1700. Mike said he fired it ONCE and NO MORE. You moight want to check with him at develdog@earthlink.net

Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Scrapiron:

Check your PM's.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

Can someone clarify what a "freebore" is and whether this rifle might have one?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Look down the barrel from the breech end with the muzzle in the light and if you have freebore it will look like a smooth section about 1/2 in long after the end of the chamber and before the rifleing it is pretty distintive. as most rifling starts at the end of the chamber
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Texas Shooter,

It's my understanding that the throat is comprised of two parts: a section of freebore, from zero, to more than zero distance, which occupies the space between the case mouth and the beginning of the leade. The leade, then, makes up that space/ transitional angle at the end of the freebore, from zero, to more than zero degrees of angle, cut to provide the un-abrupt entry of the bullet into the rifling.

....or maybe not !! <VBG>

OLR
Todd Birch

Throats and Freebores

Post by Todd Birch »

The current issue of "Black Powder Cartridge News" has an article on the topic by Dan Phariss.
It is illustrated with chamber casts of rifles with and without free bore. abrupt leads, etc.

I just looked down the chambers of my Farmingdale Shiloh '74 and a C. Sharps '75. Neither has a 'free bore' throat, the rifling starting after the chamber with an abrupt angle.

I have never done a chamber cast in either rifle. I tried chambering rounds that had not been full length resized in the other rifle once (I don't recall which) and they would not chamber.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

Thanks for the feedback. It helped clear this up. I will pass this information along.

I just received my Black Powder Cartridge News issue. :-)

Thanks again,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"