AS TRADITIONAL AS POSSIBLE. JUST A THOUGHT HERE, HOW ABOUT
ONLY USING ORIGINAL SHARPS CALIBERS & BULLETS(MOULDS &
WEIGHTS). HOPE I DON'T STIR THE POT TOO MUCH BY POSING THIS
THOUGHT.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

A few questions.

“Define” BPCR: long range/ Creedmoor style, silhouette, or what?

What time period?

Equipment: single shot, lever guns, exposed hammer guns only, the Borchardt, or what?

Sharps Calibers--how do you settle the .45-120-3.25” case question?

How about the other manufacturers & their calibers, such as Remington & Winchester? In some instances there isn’t much difference between the loadings, except that Sharps would stamp the firearm .45-2.1“.

Propellant? BP only ? Or BP & Pyrodex? In some jurisdictions, BP is extremely difficult to come by & the Shooter is limited to the am’t that they can purchase.

Caveat: the more restrictive the program, the less shooters compete.
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

I'M FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SPORT, SO I DON'T KNOW EVERY FACT AS TO
WHAT WERE ALL THE ORIGINAL CALIBERS & FIREARMS WHEN BPCR
COMPETITION BEGAN. I'M SURE THAT SHARPS WERE NOT THE ONLY
RIFLES USED, SO I AM NOT TRYING TO LIMIT THAT TO ANY ONE RIFLE
MANUFACTURER. I'M SURE THEY SHOT SILHOUETTE & LONG RANGE.
I'M JUST POSING THE THOUGHT THAT FROM A "TRADITIONAL" ASPECT
WHY NOT TRY TO STAY WITH THE ORIGINAL CALIBERS & LOADINGS
FOR THE FIREARMS USED.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

"They" shot Silhouette?
With Sharps?
Heck, I remember when Metallic Silhouette first came into the country from Mexico in the 70s. The 1970s. And BPCR-MS is a fairly recent offshoot of that. Not hardly traditional. But fun.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

44 mag,

Jim is correct, BPCR Sihouette is a very NEW Game. Started in the early to mid 1980's a take off from Highpower Silhouette.

As the only Traditional BPCR game, we are talking Creedmoor and Schutzen. Both were originaly shot with Muzzle stuffers btw and evolved into BPCR Sports.

Traditional Calibers in BPCR Creedmoor are 44-90, 45-90 aka 2.4, 45-100 aka 2.6. Plus several versions offered by Remington and Ballard. Also its been doucumented that a few 45-110's were built into Creedmoor era rifles.
Grant's book mentions his seeing some specimens in this caliber.

Ray brings up an excellent point on getting BP in some local areas. While its hard to find it in most gun shops. One can just about in any part of the country order it and have it shipped right to ones door. However Local Laws may and do vary as to how much one may have in their keeping.

Back to traditonal stuff,

Most of the original Creedmoor shooters used PP bullets. We do know that in the early 1880's as Creedmoor interest waned in this country some shooters were shooting Dirty and with Grease grove bullets. From a historical aspect Creedmoor in its First Era was a short lived one.

Todays second Golden Age of Creedmoor, has been around now since 1996 as a national level match. This is THEE GAME in my opinion. Long Range was the first and best sport in BPCR. Dont get me wrong I love shooting Silhouette also. My daughter loves to knock them rams over. But Creedmoor well it just turns my crank. Its the game I read about as a youngster at the neighbors house in 1960's and 70's American Riflemen.

The Growth of the sport today is quite something, with the aid of the internet, and the NRA's matches alot has transpired in the past 8 or so years. Shooters are able to share information at a unheard of rate compaired to past times. The growth of the sport in todays hetic world is something to be admired. As in the past today is much the same with a large International following of this type of BPCR shooting. With England, Canada and Austrialia, South Africa, Germany and a host of other countrys now shooting the game also.

I too am all for the disallowing of smokless duplexing, and BP only or Pyrodex for LR and it always has been for Silhouette.

In the past there was good reasons for Duplex loading. Today they are no longer valid.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

KENNY, THANKS FOR THE HISTORY LESSON. I ALWAYS LEARN ALOT FROM YOU. I GUESS THE THOUGHT I WAS TRYING TO BRING ACROSS
IS IF THERE WOULD BE ANY UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER USING SOME OF
THE NEWER CHAMBERINGS, I.E. RECOIL, VELOCITY, BALLISITC
COEFFICIENTS, TRAJECTORY OR WHAT HAVE YOU. AGAINST A FELLOW
COMPETETOR THAT IS USING A CALIBER OF THE TIME PERIOD?

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.