Open Range

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dave Shaw

Open Range

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi to all :D

The Western is back :lol:

Just got back from seeing the new film - Open range, what a film - great acting, great story line. The research in to the whole period (1882) give's a very acurate feel to the film. Only bad bit no Sharps.
Brings a insight into the American way of thinking, as Robert Duvall's 'Boss' say's "No body is going to tell me where I can or cannot go in this country - it just stick's in the craw"
I can't say enough about this film, will have the video on as soon as it turns up.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Got my copy at Walmart. I am with ya..really good movie!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i agree great movie got it on dvd but he mite have trouble finding a wally mart in jolly old england :lol:
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Wolfie :D

Wally mart just bought out a chain store over here, just that they won't be selling half the things you can get and certainly not at the prices you get.
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

dang next thing we know walmart will be in afganastan :shock:
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

New western! Great! Haven't been too many of em lately! Geuss they don't want to remind us too much of when this was a real free country (just got my county personal property tax assessment form today).

I'll be looking for it at the local Wally Mart.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

My mistake. Didn't take the time to read his address. Nice to know there are still some places without a Wallyworld.....
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Picked up the DVD at a local 'Wally' mart - the two disc edition.
Found the movie to be period correct down to the BP blanks (plenty smoke) and even the window glass with its 'rippling' transparancies.
Also, another subtlety, the gunfire sounds seemed more believeably than other westerns with tinny sounding booms. Maybe it was the DTS 5.1 audio.

The gunfight scene makes the "Shootout at the OK Coral" look like a tea party - no offense Dave and thanks for bringing this to attention.
Excellent movie.

Probably the most period correct movie i've seen and gives a good flavor of the old west including obsolete words and phrases was the Sam Elliot movie 'Conagher' - a 1991 Turner movie. Been a couple years though, can't remember if they used BP blanks and i seem to remember a Sharps flashed around - maybe it was a muzzle loader. Have to dust off the Laser Disc this weekend and watch it again.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Ironsight

Let's hope they bring out a few more like this, it's been a real long time since a good authenitc western's been made.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Dave Shaw,

Does tha American DVD format play on your DVD/Television equipment in England.

If so, get in touch via eMail and I'll buy it and ship it to you.

I'll include actual receipt and cost of shipping.

When you get it just send me a check for my actual hard costs, nothing else.

Let me know.

Hal
JMLange

Open Range

Post by JMLange »

The world is divided up into 5 different regions for DVD's. US and Canada is region 1, Europe and Middle East is region 2. There is software available that lets you play different regions on your computer. I did that so I could get a region 2 copy of Waterloo from England (not available in region 1).

John :)
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

JMLange,

Dave sent me a PM. Said he could play US DVD fine.

So, I'm taking care of it for him.

Hal