Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bearbait2

Rifle Scope - Need Advice

Post by Bearbait2 »

Regarding the 4X Brass Scope (long tube) sold by Dixie Gun Works:

Field of view at 100yds or 100 meters?
Who makes it?

"Dixie" says the scope is made in Japan but did not know the manufacturer or field of view. Anyone with info? Thank you.
Shoot Straight
RMulhern

Scope

Post by RMulhern »

BearBait2

If you're SERIOUS....about a scope...there's only one to buy IMO:

MVA!! :lol: :roll: :D
sackett

Post by sackett »

I am kinda partial to RHO myself....but at least they are both US made

Would pass on the Dixie scope and spend the extra money for an RHO or MVA. Well worth it.

Sackett
dryfly

Post by dryfly »

Have a MVA scope. I am pleased with it. I like the idea of the adjustments on the left side of the mount, as I am right handed. I find them easy to see and convenient for silhouette. I believe it is a quality scope, as it should be for the price. I have no experience with the RHO scope. I would stay away from the others. Unfortunately as with the other fun things, it comes at a price.
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advice BUT the MVA (as good as it is) does not fit our requirements. I am not a paper puncher or Sil-shooter. The field of view (10ft at 100yds) is too narrow and the magnification is too high (6X) for our needs. Would prefer a 2X power but the 4X at Dixie is the lowest available in that style of scope, we have found. That is why we are trying to find out more about it or anyother that might fit our needs. Your comments are appreciated. Thank you.
Shoot Straight
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I'd contact Navy Arms. @ one time they imported a brass 'scope for use on cartridge firearms. I do belive that it was a short tube 4X

I don't know anything about the qualityof the mounts & the 'scope tho.

http://www.navyarms.com/

What make of rifle are you going to mount the 'scope on?

Might be hard to find a 'scope of less than 4X or 6X....
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I have seen a few of those brass scopes. The better ones are fairly clear but rather dim due to small lenses and long tubes. Field of view is narrow, even on the 4X. That's the good news. The bad news is that the attaching brackets - I won't dignify them by calling them scope mounts - are very rough and poorly designed.

Sounds like you have a specific application in mind, Bearbait.
I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and put on a modern scope to get a wide field of view and let the frontier style go.
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If we can't find a long tube, low magnification, brass scope, then will stick with the tang sight and get a thicker front blade for our .50 Sharps. Best Wishes.
Shoot Straight