How many Bull barrel users?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Joe Burr

How many Bull barrel users?

Post by Joe Burr »

How many Bull barrels users are there out there? Do you use these for hunting applications or strictly target shooting? Although I would imagine heavy to carry in the field, does the weight make up for reduced recoil in the heavy the larger .45's and .50 cal. chamberings?

Thanks....from Joe Burr ...who has about six variations of Shiloh's that he wants! :roll:
Whtbear

Post by Whtbear »

I have a number one with the 16lb 30 incher. I use it for hunting and yes, the sucker is heavy, but worth every dollar I spent. I have shot it at the Nebraska shoot in Alliance and it was great on the line. The calibre is 45 2.1, Mr Rdnck and Coydog have helped me to come up with a very good shooting weapon with a load that works all the time, everytime. Of course, every now and then, I get the urge to have it bored out to 45-2 7/8, but since I have 600 2.1 shells now...probably not. Besides, that 2.1 packs a fairly hard wallop...I am shooting Goex 3F of 70 grains compressed and a 525 lyman government or 532 lyman postell..both of which shoot very nicely.

Oh, by the way, I am moving to Billings Montana in August...if any of you are from there, please feel free to email me...I would really like to get back into this as I have been away from it for nearly two years now because of various on the home front. I think I set this thing up where you could email me.
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

Hi Joe:
I have a 13.5 - 14 pound Harford model with 30 in barrel. Shoot sitting from crossed sticks a lot. I do not compete in matches, just shoot for recreation and personal satisfaction. My old Hi-Power buddies think I've lost my mind trying to recreate the 1870's, but Sharps has always been my true love in shooting. Some day they will see the light. I can only lead the way.
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger
Gravity Railroad

Bull Barrels

Post by Gravity Railroad »

Joe,

I have a Sporter number #1 on order in 50-90. It will have 32 inches of 16lb barrel. God willing and the creek don't raise, I will shoot 3 PA whitetails this hunting season with this rifle. If I got into target shooting, I would have to start weighing the bullets. Good luck with your decision and remember, these Shiloh’s are personal things.

All the best
Dave
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself." --Thomas Jefferson: 1782.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Are the bull barrels only available round?

Cordially,

Jim Stewart
Whtbear

Post by Whtbear »

No, sir, mine is octigon approximately 1.28 across flats at the end.
Sure, this ol' girl only has one pill, but she speaks with authority and she hits hard...real hard. Ain't noth'in ever got back up.

Clifford Galbraith
45-2.1 #1 with 30" 16lb Bull barrel
NRA Life
USAF Retired (March 1972- July 1992)
Mike Hansen

Re: How many Bull barrel users?

Post by Mike Hansen »

Don't forget, Kirk now offers a 25 pound 34" Bull barrel. As I understand it, there are at least two on order--including mine.

I doubt if anyone would want to lug one of these monsters around hunting, but the target aspects seem excellent.

For more information, see the thread entitled "'Super Duper' Heavy Barrel" in the "Shooter to Shooter" forum.

Mike
from Shiloh:
1874 "Military Carbine" (7 1/2 lb, 22" bbl) in .45-70
1874 "Sporter #1" (25 lb, 34" bbl) in .45-70, rechambered to .45-110
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Aye carumba! A 25 pounder!!! That would be something to see. I would need to have it mounted on a wheel cart of some kind! :roll:

I'm not sure of the weight restrictions for the NRA BPCR shooting sports, will the bull barrels make weight for long range?
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Mike Hansen

When do you expect to receive your 25 pound beauty :shock: ?? That sounds like a really neat rifle . :P

[b]RR[/b]
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Mike Hansen

Post by Mike Hansen »

[quote="RANGER RICK"]Mike Hansen

When do you expect to receive your 25 pound beauty :shock: ?? That sounds like a really neat rifle . :P

[b]RR[/b][/quote]

Rick,

Kirk said there was one order ahead of mine. Since he is making these rifles one at a time in his "spare time" (I didn't know he had any) and since the Bull barrels are made in the late fall, I suspect my "Lot Closing" letter will arrive in the fall of 2005.

That's OK. It'll give me plenty of time of get the money together. The total price should be in the middle 7,000s, not counting all the taxes. I ordered both iron sights and the 23" telescope from MVA. Kirk said it's easy to switch between them.

Take care,

Mike
from Shiloh:
1874 "Military Carbine" (7 1/2 lb, 22" bbl) in .45-70
1874 "Sporter #1" (25 lb, 34" bbl) in .45-70, rechambered to .45-110
Bill C.

Post by Bill C. »

I have a 17+# Lone Star Rolling Block "Heavy Sporting Rifle" that's in .45-2.6"

I had wanted a 16# Shiloh #3, but at the time I inquired, the wait was longer than I was willing to abide by.

Now that these "special" weight barrelled rifles are more forthcoming, wouldn't a nice to have a 32" Half-Octagonal Bull Barrelled gun, just like J. Wright Mooar's?!!

I wonder if Kirk would do it?
Bill C.-Shooting Birds in Oregon