Update MVA Winchester A5 Target Scope

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Update MVA Winchester A5 Target Scope

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Well I now have a grand total of one match under my belt using the new Winchester A5 by MVA. I works just fine! :D

The concerns I have heard regarding the scope and mounts capacity to shoot out to 600 yards are false. I had .075" or more left after reaching the rams at 500 or so at Birmingham. I do find as an old Soule shooter, one must be careful to not just grab a hand full of windage or you will be shooting into the next county! :lol:

The scope blocks that come with the scope are perfect for shooting from 100 out to 600 yards, however I choose to load test at 200 to 400 sumodd yards, so I choose to shim the back block up .075", and perhaps shoot a little farther.

For the money, this scope is a value that can't be beat. AND, it's made by one of the largest supporters of our sport there is. Good Job MVA!

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Free_Stater

Re: Update MVA Winchester A5 Target Scope

Post by Free_Stater »

I get to take mine out of the box and look through it, caress it, think about shooting with it... thanks for telling us what I figured you'd find out. It is a good value; in fact, there's just about nothing to compare to it.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

What reticle are you using?
deerhuntsheatmeup

centerless mil dot

best, barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Hey guys,

I had a long discussion with MVA this morning and thought I’d mention that MVA is calling the scope the B-Series in reference to the original Winchester B5 scope, not the A5, not that it makes any difference in the overall scope of things, pun intended. Based on the conversation I just added a section to my website article titled Searching for a Cost Effective BPCR Scope Solution for Silhouette Competition:
==========================================
MVA’s new B-Series scopes (8/11/11)
MVA recently introduced an “economical” series of scopes called the B-Series. As of this writing there’s no information on their web site. I spoke with a factory representative for the following information:
• The scopes are available in three power versions: 3x, 4x & 5x, and are 13.5” to 15.5” long depending on the power.
• They come with your choice of reticles and a set of bases.
• The scopes do not have a Pope-style rail, but do feature a longitudinal indentation to provide the sliding function. The front mount uses a spring loaded plunger to keep the scope from rotating and tracking or sliding in the indentation.
• The price is $575 or $650 depending on the type of rear mount selected: #1 or #2.
• The windage and elevation adjustments on the #1 or #2 rear mounts are non-click-style. The rear mounts feature what is commonly referred to as a “grasshopper-style” spring to spring load the scope tube up against the elevation turret.
• The #1 mount has scales on top of the turret heads that give a rough 1.5 MOA of adjustment reference
• The #2 mount is larger for more windage and elevation adjustment and has finer micrometer-style scales on the side of the turret and barrel for approximately 0.5 MOA of adjustment.

Based on the above noted features, the #1 mounts should be an excellent solution for general shooting and hunting. The #2 mounts would be necessary for silhouette competition with targets set at various extended ranges, requiring precise and repeatable windage and elevation adjustments.
=========================================
If you are interested in reading the much longer article, go to http://www.texas-mac.com/Searching_for_ ... ition.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
deerhuntsheatmeup

Here one is on my .22 Low Wall

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Hey Barvid...

Just out of curiosity, how many sets of mounts did you get? I have two sets for my 28" MVA, for the #3 45-70 and for the #1 in 45-90. With the new scope, I'll put the first set of mounts on the 50-70 Saddle Rifle and the second most likely on the #3 in 50-90.
deerhuntsheatmeup

Three sets, Highwall 45-70, Low Wall .22, and Model 75T .22! :D

FWIW, the mounts for the .22's need to be the same height front and rear. If not, you cannot shoot closer than about 120 yards. :shock:

I am still tryin' to make up my mind about a scope on my '74. Right now, I am working hard on eye sight issues so as to maybe be able to keep shootin irons a little longer. My Shiloh with irons is one of the prettiest rifles that ever left Big Timber!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I would like it to stay that way!

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
gws

Post by gws »

Barvid,

I too have been struggling with iron sights for the past several years trying everything I could, rigid bitoric contacts worked ok, better than my normal prescription glasses but I just had a pair of shooting specific glasses made by http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/ and I believe they will work well. I've not seen my front sight as clearly as I do now for a long time. I had my optometrist set the bifocal vision for 30". With all the money we spend on this activity the few dollars for rifle specific shooting glasses was minimal. Your mileage may vary but I think these are going to work for me.

As for the scope, do you have a set of DZ Arms mounts, if so how do they compare to the MVA's.

GS
TSRA - Life, NRA -Benefactor
squire

Post by squire »

I had a pair of prescription glasses made (my eye doc is a shooter and understood what was needed) and I got the clearest sight picture I've experienced in years. Couldn't see the targets worth a darn but the sights were clear.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

As my eyes aged, I began to have real problems. I will make the target sharp if at all possible, and that changes the point of impact from the correct sight picture of fuzzy target/sharp front sight.

After some experimenting with glasses (1st set was 1/2 diopter closer than infinity), I had a set ground for 1 diopter closer than infinity focus. The definition of 1 diopter is that perfect far focus is at 1 meter.

My optometrist knew about shooting glasses, but I'd caution all of you on one thing: we discussed the options of 1/2 diopter close focus or 1 diopter close focus. I tried both in his office. The 1/2 diopter looked best.

The 1/2 diopter glasses worked well in low light, when the pupils are opened wider and depth of focus is reduced. Under those conditions, the rear aperture is fairly wide open.

In retrospect, the office test was also in low light. In bright light, the increased depth of focus prevented me from getting a fuzzy targetbecause my iris was too small.

The 1 diopter glasses allow me to dial down the rear aperture and get the slightly fuzzy target/sharp front sight that works best for me.

The 30" focal distance mentioned earlier is probably ~1.25 diopters close focus and would also work well.

For those who want to make an inexpensive test before committing to one of the expensive shooting glasses, Zenni Optical has complete single focus glasses for $20-25.

Clarence
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

My Big Fifty is going to the shop this afternoon to have the mounts installed. When the new Saddle Rifle gets here I'll make the decision whether or not to have a set put on it.

My eyes are okay for daily activities, but shooting and glare are big problems because of cataracts. The eye doc strongly suggested that they not be fixed until they're worse, and I'm doing fairly well until I get out beyond 300 yards. The scopes I have make my life sooooooo much nicer, though.

Now to get Mikey off his butt long enough to drill me some holes.