Sling Swivels and Round Barrels

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

taw1126

Sling Swivels and Round Barrels

Post by taw1126 »

I noticed that in the catalog sling swivels are offered for octagon barrels only. There are some Shiloh Sharps around that have round barrels and what certainly appears to be factory sling swivels (Goodman's web site, for example, shows a Shiloh Business Rifle with sling swivels); is there a reason sling provisions are no longer offered on round barrels? It seems like it would only be a matter of cutting another dovetail in the barrel.

Thanks,
Trey
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'd like to ask the same question, as I'm about to order a business rifle and I want a sling on it for hunting.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

Ken:
That's the exact application I'm looking at- I've got a Business Rifle ordered. We never used slings when I was in the Infantry but scrambling around the Gilas last summer carrying an original Winchester 1895 helped me decide that I didn't ever want to hunt without a sling again. That was on horseback, too, which is about as easy as mountain hunting is going to get.

The fact that Shiloh lists "octagon-only" makes me think there have been problems with slings and round barrels in the past. On the other hand, the contour of the Business Rifle's barrel looks like it could handle another dovetail, especially if the sling fitting was soldered in place. Maybe we'll get lucky...

Trey
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Guy's, the only reason this is advertised this way is due to the standard half octagon barrels, there is not enough material to drill and tap a hole, all others can have them. I due have a ring that can be put on the standard half now. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks Kirk, I deffinitely want a sling on my next Shiloh.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter