Sight Screw size

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

Sight Screw size

Post by nohorse »

Kirk: I have an Axtell sight but the mounting screws are too large in diameter. What screw size do I need? Thanks!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

size 10-28
TYRVR

10-28?????

Post by TYRVR »

Kirk: A friend and good Shiloh customer,(Dennis Williams) wrung the head on one of his sight screws last week, I picked it up Mon. and re-moved the broken screw body, when I went back with the other screw....10X28s they wobbled in the hole! I tried a tap.....it also wobbled, so I made some in 12X28 but these were too big, I wound up with about a 4.5MM.X28....approximately, to get a good snug fit, I guessed that the tang in that "B" series had been drilled oversize perhaps, an anomoly,......but when I came home last night, I checked one of my rifles and it too was a bit oversize for a true 10X28..... is this a coincidence .....or does the shop use larger than standard drills in the tang sight screw holes?
Thanks, just curious,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

We make them a touch oversize, because it seems everybody and their brother are making sights now, and I got a little tired of removing broken screws which were to tight and broke off. Thanks Kirk
TYRVR

I understand fully,

Post by TYRVR »

I wondered about that, OH! yeah.....and it might be a good deed to tell the customers that Loc-Tite or any of the other thread blockers are NOT needed for sight mounting, just clean and degrease the threads male and female and tighten normally, a screw overdoused with fast acting thread blocker is going to attack your wallet somewhere down the line, and can cause severe damage to a nice gun!
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"