Kirk: Barrel Length for a Hunting Rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hunter

Kirk: Barrel Length for a Hunting Rifle

Post by Hunter »

Kirk, putting together another order, my 50 X 2.5 needs a friend. Looking like a 45 X 2 7/8 in a #1 sporter. Would like something that would carry easer than the full 30 inch bbl. Was thinking along the lines of a 26 incher, what would you recommend for something that was well balanced and not too muzzle heavy???? Hunter
Say no to BO.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I use a 45- 2 7/8 in a 26" std. half. If I had it to do over it would be a 26" std. full oct. This will be around a 9.5 - 10 pound gun (perfect) Thanks Kirk
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Great. thanks Kirk
Say no to BO.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Kirk, Hunter, good afternoon. Thanks Kirk for a great answer to Hunter's question. I was talking to one of the Ladies in the office about a 26" full octagon standard weight barrel in 50-70. She said you don't like to make the standard barrell in 50-70?? I'm thinking the .45-2 7/8ths load would be more powerful than the 50-70??? What do you think?? I'm not critisizing or second quessing the ladies, I just wonder what you personally think about this barrel?? Thanks a million. Ken.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Ken if you put one of them skinny things on your gun it will whip around and whop you on the noggin every time you shoot it, besides you can just hire a shikari to haul it for you or maybe get you a golf cart to pack it in and hire a caddy . heck I'll even caddy for you if you go buffalo hunting
decisions ,decisions that is part of the fun of waiting huh..........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hey Ken, down deep old Dean likes the old 2 7/8's, he just has one of those big old fat guns. Setting all jokes a side the 45-110 is way way way better than a punkin roller which a lot call the 50-70. You just can't be in la la when shooting it in a light gun, gotta hang on to it. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ok, Kirk. Now, what stock do you have on that 26" er, and what model rifle is it?? 8) :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Good evening gentlemen. Kirk, I'm hardly ever in "La La" when I'm shooting so that would be ok. ha ha. :D Dean you can carry the rifle if you promise to be real quiet, those pesky south Texas wabbits are weally weally sneaky. The road runners are even worse!!! :oops:
Shiloh Rules!!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

kirk me and that fat gun both kinda look alike huh ,both kinda fat but unobtrusive doncha think thanks again for all the work you did I have been swamped since I got home and have not yet got all unloaded but will write and let you know how it all worked out thanks again...............Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Ken, been gone a few days, anyway mine is a saddle type stock.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ok, thanks Kirk, I take it you mean the shotgun style stock, no cheekpiece, no pistol grip, on the saddle rifle???? [i] Kenny W.[i], thanks a million for your PM, I appreciate it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Haverde Warner

Post by Haverde Warner »

Ken-the saddle rifle stock has a cheekpiece. I ordered mine after handling (fondling) Kirk's saddle rifle at the Safari Club show. His is a handsome, lively rifle-of course, mine will be prettier, at least for a while.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Haverde, you'r right, I misremembered the catalog, thanks. I'm deffinitey going to Safari Dallas in 2005 to fondle all the models (Rifles that is) that Shiloh makes. They will probably run me out of the booth after the first day!! ha ha. I specifically want to see the Montanna Roughtrider, the saddle rifle, the hartford and the business rifle. I already have a 45-70 Sporter #1 that I shoot silhouette with and I want another one to hunt with. Maybe I'll see you there.
Shiloh Rules!!