Installing the Lever Pin

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bohonkie

Installing the Lever Pin

Post by Bohonkie »

Up front, I must ask forgiveness for this title. I don't know the "official" name of the pin that goes through the receiver which holds the lever assembly (the assy pivoting on this pin as the action is opened and closed). I have struggled with this for many years as the spring inside is a tough one to compress while lining up the holes for the pin to go through. Recently, a friend told me it was a simple thing and, since he had his original Sharps 1874 in .40-60, I asked if he could show me a trick I don't know of to line things up and get the pin installed without the anguish and intense compression required. He proceeded to remove the pin and the lever and I got close as he attempted to reinsert the pin. Well, after about 45 minutes he gave up. I tried and couldn't do it either. It was far more difficult than my Shiloh '74. I went to good ol' You Tube and found a video that was of no help. When it got to the point where they guy inserted the pin, all he said was it could be a bit difficult. So I'm asking if anyone knows "the code" or if (hopefully) there is some sort of tool or jig that might help. Please forgive if this has been asked and answered before; I couldn't find mention of it anywhere on this site. Many thanks! mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
Randy Bohannon

Re: Installing the Lever Pin

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I take off the forearm (2 screws) loosen the lever spring screw, depress the take down lever pull the pin out and the falling block and extractor will fall out. Be sure to put the rifle in its half cock/loading/unloading position as to not break the firing pin.
I just recently reread Shiloh’s directions and learned to stand the rifle up for reassembly this helps with keeping the extractor in the slot and the falling block from falling out while trying to position the extractor.
Now the carbines will be different due to having a barrel band I haven’t learned what that will be like yet.

Hope this helps.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI there is no need to take the fore stock off for me it is less than a two minute job if you have rubble call Kirk he will explain it to you it is real simple to do !! Keep shooting and having fun !! :D :D :D
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Every time you loosen the lever spring and re- tighten it you are changing the way it moves and therefore the reason behind most lever springs braking!!! It's not rocket science, put the pin in the hole and twist as you push and it will go right in. If it's an old farmingdale, not so easy, the pin has a square shoulder so you have to get more gruff...

P.S. If you have loosened the lever spring, get it straight and set so top of block is level with reciever trough when open, then tighten it tight and leave it alone!!!

Kirk,
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Thanks, all. Next time I'll make sure to put the rifle muzzle-up so I won't have to fuss with the extractor. The rest is pretty much the way I do it... line up, push and twist. I'm still concerned about my friend's rifle where this didn't work. Thanks again for the info! mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

If you have troubles with your Sharps and a single extractor, imagine fighting dual extractors and trying to reassemble a Sharps! My Freund Sharps has the Freund dual extractors, so I have to try to keep both extractors in the breech block recesses, and then start the block up into the action, and once it's all slid in, then try to get the takedown lever through the action, block, and both extractors! Every time I do it, I wish I had a 2nd person, or a third hand!
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Wow. And I wish I had a Freund Sharps! I reckon I'll quit complaining about mine. Thanks - mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I won’t be doing mine the way I described anymore since the Boss has said it’s a a poor practice. Lesson learned and message received.
whoop-up country

Post by whoop-up country »

I have never loosened the lever spring, and usually can get the take down pin in doing it as Kirk described. If my sharps is giving me trouble going back together, I get a pin punch, and slide it in from the left side(looking from the butt), using the punch to align all the parts. Then with a small bit of oil on the take down pin, I just slide it in from the right, using it to push the pin punch out. Works every time. :D

Bob
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Thanks much - again! mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie