Rolling block military rifle sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

NDuckhunter2

Rolling block military rifle sights

Post by NDuckhunter2 »

I have a Remington made #1 rolling block military rifle in really outstanding condition. the wood, and metal finish is almost new as is the bore. The only real rust/finish loss is at the front of the trigger guard. There of course is no telling what country this rifle was made for but it appears to be a .43 Spanish with a mint .445 bore. I made up an expander so I can load the proper diameter projectiles and have been shooting it but have found the rear sight to be virtually unusable due to how fine the V notch is. My question is does anybody make a replacement for the rear sight I can just bolt on? If not I‘ve seen a version of the sight that is a peep sight but can’t source one. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find one of these? I hate to modify the original sight since the rifle is in such good shape but I bought the gun to shoot.
powderburner

Re: Rolling block military rifle sights

Post by powderburner »

https://www.oldgunsights.com/
Try these folks. They make origional reproductions which can be modified without ruining the origional.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Not sure if this sight will work for your rifle but this is a neat rifle sight, I think it would be cool on a sharps.

https://montanavintagearms.com/product/ ... rel-sight/
NDuckhunter2

Post by NDuckhunter2 »

Thanks powderburner, I tried calling them when I got home tonight and they must have been closed. I’ll call tomorrow, I had never heard of them but their products look great. Sharpsbig50, Unfortunately the rough and ready sight wont fit the military rifles since the barrel is round, I actually called them back when I first started looking. I agree it is a really cool sight that was pretty popular in the 1870’s. There were actually several manufacturers back in the 1800’s that made fully adjustable target sights for the military rifles but I’ve never seen one not attached to a very pricey rifle lol. I bet there would be a market for a simple adjustable bolt on sight with a more forgiving sight picture for all the military rifles out there. The bolt pattern and barrel profiles were all very similar if not identical.