2024 Desert International Target Rifle Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: 2024 Desert International Target Rifle Championship

Post by JonnyV »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 pm We can video how great your PP loads shoot and Post the groups here.

The risk one assumes by agreeing to be on video lol!
semtav

Post by semtav »

JonnyV wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:07 am
desert deuce wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 pm We can video how great your PP loads shoot and Post the groups here.

The risk one assumes by agreeing to be on video lol!
You'd be welcome to put me on there, but you'd have to put a disclaimer on the video.
"For entertainment only, not intended for educational purposes"
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I'm happy to see all this encouragement for PP shooters, and from DD himself, sort of. But he has me convinced to try GG in my Shiloh (hope bobw doesn't see this). I have just one GG mold from long ago (Postell) and ain't buying any more. As for PP, KW has me convinced to wet wrap. Now if we could just get some shooting weather, I couldn't keep wiping patches on the bench in the wind the other day.
semtav

Post by semtav »

mike herth wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:31 am I'm happy to see all this encouragement for PP shooters, and from DD himself, sort of. But he has me convinced to try GG in my Shiloh

Watch out, he'd probably have you shooting powder coated bullets behind smokeless powder if he could.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

semtav wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:01 am
mike herth wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:31 am I'm happy to see all this encouragement for PP shooters, and from DD himself, sort of. But he has me convinced to try GG in my Shiloh

Watch out, he'd probably have you shooting powder coated bullets behind smokeless powder if he could.
The above statement may be a “slight” exaggeration…
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have to wonder if SEMTAV engaged in a bit of modified plagiarism: :lol:

SEMTAV: "Plus if we could get Bob and Dean out of their easy chairs, we'd have a slew of fun loving shooters."

The primary purpose of the Desert International is to provide a high quality event that is fun for the shooters. Perfect for fun loving shooters. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I think next year, I'm gonna pass on the silhouette and concentrate on a few days of practice with my 22. Truth be told, I could go hard in for a three day 22 match....
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Day one of 22 at 200 yards, day two at 300, and then day three could be the “22 Iron Man” (no spotter) at 300 yards…then commence with the big guns at 500 yards on day 4.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Unlike other esteemed posters on this thread, and quite a few others on other threads, I clearly am capable of rational thought. :mrgreen:

To the point: I have rationalized that those wishing to view the compiled equipment lists that were submitted by the shooters at the 2024 Desert International Long Range Black Powder Target Rifle Event may 'soon' be able to do so.

Now to the RATIONALE: Two avid and dedicated Black Powder Target Rifle Aficionados have established places that anyone can go and find valuable information about our sport and I plan to forward to them the compiled equipment list for posting on their site. This is not to slight Shiloh Forum in the least. The idea is to give a nod to current competitors working to promote our sport in current times. With that said, Kenny Wasserburger and Johnny V, exclusively, may post the list should they desire to do so on their new media. It then falls to those interested to DISCOVER their sites and glean the information I am being pestered to provide.

So go ahead and discover these two sites and wait patiently for the list to be posted. 8) The term 'soon' is subject to interpretation.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I'm not a scope user and wonder which shooters at the DI are using a scope and the impact on the scores. Is there a clear advantage of scope over irons, especially at 1000 yards? Some matches have separate classes for irons and scope, is there a clear difference to support that distinction? Just curious, I intend to stick with irons.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Mike.
In regards to the paper patch question.
It's really irrelevant who showed up with paper patch and how they fared.
Winter before last when I decided to quit posting tripe on the forum for a while. I went and studied a lot of posts and articles on results of shooting paper patch loads at matches.
I kept seeing a common thread in those that had udder failures. They either threw together a paper patch load and headed to ( pick your match. )
Or they decided to try a new ( pick your poison)
A new bullet a new powder, a new gun, a new load, ad nauseum.

And many of these were normally high placing individuals.

What I have deduced from this is, find a good load and method of shooting that load and practice with that load for a long time. And once you have it do not deviate from it one iota. Don't put your other leg in your pants first when you get up, don't drink a different brand of coffee, do not change one damn thing especially regarding your paper patch loading and shooting regiment until they have been thoroughly tested under all conditions before you take them to big match.

Paperpatching is fun and rewarding for those that really appreciate the challenges, but it is not forgiving and any little slip up can be met with devastating results even with the best of regiments.

So forget what others are doing and decide what you really want to do and stick with it.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Mike: the consensus so far (mostly accepted) is that scopes don’t give any scoring advantage over irons (at least out to 800 yards or so). I shot my first two Quigley’s with irons.

That said… I switched to the DZ scope for my 3rd Q and for the DI match. On the 22 match day, I scored my first (only) perfect score (200 points with 9 x rings). At the Q, I was able to clearly make out the targets even when they had heavy lead splatters covering the entire surface. Iron guys…not so much (at least on my relay). I’m sure that Aviator had no issues but shooters with super powers don’t count.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I encouraged Aviator to leave his cape and blue long sleeve jersey with the red capital S on the chest home when attending matches. Guess he took the advice to heart.