Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcrshooter62

Re: New to me Shiloh Sharps

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Doug check your pm's
bobw

Post by bobw »

doug_bailey wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:37 pm And here it is! Not sure what I'll do with 250 cases - probably a lifetime supply since I only make and shoot about 60 in a session, and I have only killed a few by carelessness when using the press - but nice to have some spares.

Picture9.jpg
Usually go thru 250 -350 rds during Big Hill lr shoot the weekend before the Q and the week leading up to the Q. I allways go with about 500-600 loaded rds your imagination is lacking. I know people who shoot twice that many in those 9-10 days. Bobw
bobw
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Our shoot here is now a four day shoot for silhouette shoot average of 60 rounds a day the two days before are fun shoots an other 28 rounds each day then if you come early to find site setting or practice there is another who know 100 or so rounds so where are we now close to 400 rounds lol just keep shooting and having fun !! :D :D :D
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

Wow - now I know why you guys scoffed at my mere 150 lbs stash of navy lead. 600 rounds is over 40 lbs of bullet lead!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I bring a minimum of 500 rounds to Forsyth for the Quigley. For the Desert International, I took 600, of which I have a few (35 left). For any of these matches, giving yourself a "budget" of 100 rounds a day is not unreasonable. Some days you will shoot more, some less. I have found that when you get to a range such as Ben Avery or the Lee Ranch, you should send as many rounds as humanly possible downrange. Not because getting a recoil whooping is so much fun, but because it's your best chance to observe actual shot performance in adverse conditions. The flight of the bullet, the wiping regimen, the spotting, all of it. It's just not the same as being back on your home range. You have to remember that you are there to learn.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I'd also add when you look at rooms or gas to get there the ammo is the inexpensive part. Of course that is just for 1 gun some of us haul 3-5 or more with adequate ammo supplies to do the same with any of them. Some of the non US attendees do there loading here because they can't fly with any.or the border patrol would probably
arrest them. The only time you have to much ammo is when you have a boat sinking and you have to swim for it. More than a few target shooting posters on here cast thousands of bullets every winter for the upcoming target shoot season.. bobw
bobw
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

The handles arrived from Midway today and I made some bullets with the Saeco mold. They fit the Shiloh chamber perfectly. The nose section of the Saeco RN mold is 0.010 narrower than the Lyman and so the bullet does not bind on the lands. Bullets from the Saeco mold center around 500 grains - with a wider spread because it makes two at a time. The Lyman mold was centered at 520.

I'm still trying to decide whether to shoot the ammo that I made with the Lyman mold, or torque the bullets out and remake them. If they were easy to jam into the chamber, I probably would not hesitate, but they require a lot of force and even with the loader tool, I'm pretty sure the action pushes it the last 0.001 of the way in when it closes. Just has that "smells bad" feeling of impending fuckup due to forcing something that shouldn't be forced (like siezed car exhaust bolts - you just know when more effort is just going to snap the head off the bolt and make more work). But on the other hand, it would be an interesting experiment to shoot a few of these, a few of the new ones and a few of the BACO bullets and see if anything changes. Provided nothing gets damaged jamming bullets into the chamber.

Also, I noticed that it's very hard to get bullets from both of the Saeco mold positions to match weight. I guess it will be necessary to use just one mold hole or commit to two populations - one centered at 500.5 grains and one at 498.5.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Pour them both. When you get 50 of each make some ammo check your groups with each and see how they shoot. If one weight shoots better than the other use that one. Just for the info use 3 of each in a group to see how that works. By only using one cavity I'd be more worried about less consistant mold heat retention. Just a thought.. bobw
bobw
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

I now have 50 rounds made up with the Saeco mold. 30 that originally had Lyman bullets that I pulled and re-cast, and 20 from new brass. The new brass might be interesting: I made 10 annealed prior to assembly and 10 not. All with identical 500.6 grain bullets. If the weather holds up I'll shoot this weekend and see if I can detect a difference.

I could not learn to love making bullets 2 at a time. If I make one at a time in either the front or rear mold site, I get +/- 0.3 grains of variation. But if I use both, the second one varies a lot - 498.5 to 501.1 grains. I end up recasting about 50% anyway, and so it's easier to just get into a rhythm with one.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Yeah. Most of us use single cavity molds for consistantcy.
Limber Up!
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

Here's today's target - 100 yards because that's the longest range I have access to close by.

This is with the Saeco bullets cast to 500.8 grains +/- 0.1 grains. Exactly 68 grains of 1.5FG Swiss and the new Starline brass, annealed and sized, but otherwise unchanged. The new set was pretty much on the same sight settings as the old 520 grain BACO bullets - the observant among you will see the patches on the target from the prior round when I shot my old load with the BACO RN bullets.
Picture1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by doug_bailey on Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

One thing I found is that the most stable position for the butt of the rifle is tucked firmly into the "crease" between my shoulder and collabone. But it hurts like crazy - even with a pad on the butt of the rifle. I'm going to need a more protection against recoil. What are you all using?
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

https://www.buffaloarms.com/pq-shooter- ... ol924.html

I use the Shooters Friend, it does add to length of pull a bit but works well and have never thought to try anything different.
Your rifle is shooting well.
whoop-up country

Post by whoop-up country »

https://www.buffaloarms.com/large-right ... e-lrs.html

This is what lots of the BPCR shooters use. I have one and they are excellent.
Plus you can use them with any rifle, no moving from one rifle to another.
They are bigger than the PAST recoil pads.

Bob
doug_bailey

Post by doug_bailey »

Randy Bohannon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:41 pm https://www.buffaloarms.com/pq-shooter- ... ol924.html

I use the Shooters Friend, it does add to length of pull a bit but works well and have never thought to try anything different.
Your rifle is shooting well.
I'm pretty happy with the vertical spread. The 2" of horizontal spread is probably me. Good news: metal pigs, turkeys and rams are wider than they are tall! We were rained out in March and I had a business trip in April. Hopefully May's silhouette shoot happens and I can check whether the work I've put into the load and my shooting practice pay off at the longer ranges. I do need to get some relief from the recoil, though - my shoulder feels like I shot myself and I only put 25 rounds downrange today.