Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Herters

Post by semtav »

never heard of these things before.
Got it in a box of old reloading items
herters.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Newman

Re: Herters

Post by Ray Newman »

Herter's now that brings back a few memories! I remember going through the Herter's catalogues in the 1960's and thinking about what I would buy when I had a good paying job!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Everything Herter's sold was the very best available, according to them.

My first rifle had a Herter's scope. It had non-centering crosshairs.

In the '70's, we would stop and take pictures of our daughters sitting on the large jackalope when we passed through Mitchell on our way to Montana.

Clarence
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Clarence, what are non-centering cross hairs?

thanks,

Chris.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Non-centering crosshairs. As you adjusted the 'scope for windage and elevation, the cross hairs moved and did not stay centered like today's 'scopes.

Speaking 'bout 'scopes, which company advertised the first wide angle view 'scope? If I recall correctly, it was not very powerful and the objective lens looked similar to a rectangle or the shape of a TV screen?
Last edited by Ray Newman on Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I looked up Herters on the internet - never heard of Herters:

“George Leonard Herter (24 May 1911 – 5 July 1994) of Waseca, Minnesota was the founder of the Herter's outdoor goods business and an author. His best known books are the Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices series (published in three volumes), which have a cult following today.[1]
In 1937 Herter took his father's dry goods store and turned it into a mail order outdoor goods business, selling hunting and fishing items through a catalog. He later opened retail outlet stores, which pioneered the style of outdoor goods stores now operated by Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. The company went bankrupt in 1981.[1]
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ray that was Redfield wide field
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Should have said "non-centered" in the field of view.

Clarence
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Ray Newman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:20 am Non-centering crosshairs. As you adjusted the 'scope for windage and elevation, the cross hairs moved and did not stay centered like today's 'scopes.

Speaking 'bout 'scopes, which company advertised the first wide angle view 'scope? If I recall correctly, it was not very powerful and the objective lens looked similar to a rectangle or the shape of a TV screen?

Ah, thanks for that. Learn something new every day!

Chris.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Pictured is the “Herter’s Case Gauge Micrometer.”

“Base made of lathe bed iron. Micrometer made of the finest steel and with micrometer precision. Measures all case lengths to 3 inches. Furnished with 3 ground blocks to measure from 0 to 1 inch, 1 inch to 2 inches and 2 inches to 3 inches. Made with base that sets up on table for fast easy operation. Accurate to .001. Furnished with SAAMI measurements of case length for all popular cartridges. Price $10.79.”

In 1970. You could buy a Herter’s reloading press for 5-6 bucks more.

Herter’s was the preferred brand of knowledgeable people world wide, from the crowned heads of Europe to the scum of the earth. At least according to George L. Herter, who wrote all the advertising copy and catalog descriptions.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Herter's 234 Turret Press mounted up on the lonely end of my bench...I sand blasted and painted it. Still use it on occasion...

Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Sorry, but I have to ask, what the heck did you do to destroy those cases???? :shock:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Woody

Post by Woody »

Ah come-on. We all know what happened.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Gamerancher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:42 pm Sorry, but I have to ask, what the heck did you do to destroy those cases???? :shock:

Those were three 45-90 cases that I ran through the AIM machine. In oder to get perfect annealing, you have to sacrifice at least one case (annealed to destruction) so that the computer can analyze it and then set the perfect annealing level. I did three (on three different days) because I wanted to be absolutely sure. Great machine from your end of the planet!
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

AMP machine…stupid talk to text…