Remington Hepburn barrel shank

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JCP

Remington Hepburn barrel shank

Post by JCP »

Does anyone know if all Remington Hepburns were threaded 1.062" diameter with a 16TPI?

Jack
JCP

Re: Remington Hepburn barrel shank

Post by JCP »

Well, after a little more research and more possible disinformation, I doubt any had this thread.
Seems that it had square threads probably like or similar to the Rolling Block rifle.
Or maybe not :oops:

Jack
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

They’re called acme threads…..
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

De Haas shows Hepburn barrels as thread length 1.00 , 12 square threads per inch , diameter of threads .975. Hope this helps.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Acme threads are a different from square threads.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Contact Dan at DZ Arms, he makes replicas, I'm sure he'll know.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

FWIW - a shooting friend gave me an original E. Remington & Sons roll stamped barrel he had taken off of a Hepburn. Someone had previously bored it out to .50-90. It screwed right into a Rolling Block receiver like it was meant for it - the top of the barrel was actually straight up. The shank, of course, was way too short, but it was interesting. The threads were square.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

OldVarkWSO wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:32 am FWIW - a shooting friend gave me an original E. Remington & Sons roll stamped barrel he had taken off of a Hepburn. Someone had previously bored it out to .50-90. It screwed right into a Rolling Block receiver like it was meant for it - the top of the barrel was actually straight up. The shank, of course, was way too short, but it was interesting. The threads were square.
A Hepburn barrel will thread onto a Rolling Block #1 action, but it's not quite the same. They are both the same 12 sq. TPI, but a #1 is an OD of 1.0" where a Hepburn is .975" so it threads easily because it's slightly undersized, and shouldn't be used on a #1 receiver.
JCP

Post by JCP »

Thanks for the information. I have to thread a barrel for one before long. I don't mind the square threads.

Jack