Rdnck is a serious deer killer!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Scott,
thanks! I'm trying to stay away from the sparring matches....I want good factual data when I debate! Believed from my own experiences, though of the same argument!
Be Blessed! Doug
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

I know for a fact that my 45-90 puts a good sized hole clear through a buffalo when the shot placement is good.
I have always gone for a heart, lung shot, and I think the old buff hunters may have done the same.
It works and fast, mine dropped like a rock..
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don't care for the sparring matches either. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind about what they believe anyway.

No doubt, you put one of these slugs through the heart and they are going to bleed out pretty quick. The trick is knowing where the heart is and holding there.

I think a lot of folks may have trouble because they do not understand exactly where the organs lie in an animal.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Scott,
I believe you are correct taht many don't know where to aim. I think mant also just shoot at the animal and not at the spot.

Conan,
I thought I read once that the Buffalo hunters aimed for behind the ear. The idea of putting down the animal qucikly without allowing for a lot of flailing around, spooking the rest of the herd. That would be a very small target area to hit the spine at the base of the skull.......but then these guys were professionals and would be starvin' pilgrams in short order if the herd ran off!
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70