.50-70 on Bear

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Reading between the lines? That's never a good thing, read the words and try and grasp their intent, not what you want those words to mean.

Leatherstocking,

Your first post to Todd looked as if you are taking a superior attitude and it also appears as a lecture to a small child. I would have thought better of you.

I've reread Todds posts a couple of times and I don't see how he comes across as being superior. What I see is, Todd trying to justify an incident that dosen't need justifying, to you or anyone else.

Kelley O. :twisted:
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

:wink:
Last edited by Leatherstocking on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
RMulhern

Bar Hunt

Post by RMulhern »

Todd

There 'ain't' a man here....what hasn't enjoyed this thread! What ya gotta recall here....is that you're messing around with a bunch of guys....some of whom may have been/done the whole 9 yards from bear, to elk, to deer, and I dare say....maybe a couple what done seen fit to bust an African beast or two and some things.....just come across as funny....and sometimes....even DUMB! The only folks I know that haven't done something dumb or who aren't making mistakes....are all over in your local graveyard!! Maybe ya ain't old enough to have developed THICK SKIN yet....but if you hang around here.....you will! Much...is said in jest....and many take stuff way to seriously at the opposite end! Hang around....and tell your experiences! Will Rogers stated...."Some men learn by listening, some by reading, and some by pixxing on the electric fence"! Frankly....I prefer the first two!!

Hang in there!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Josh A.

Goofus

Post by Josh A. »

I personally thought Todd's story was about cleaning up a mess that he made. Occasionally everyone that hunts long enough is going to have a mess to clean up. Taking limited ammuntion hunting seems like a stunt to me, but I don't guess I care. I think what gets everyones dander up is ole Todd deciding for us which category of testicular mass he's in and which category others are in. While he may be the bravest son-of-a-buck to come down the pike this century, this forum is not really one of those places those places to be pitchin' your gonads on the scales. Most guys are a little reluctant to put their bonafides out in public, but I know quite a few of the folks around here personally and there are some pretty stout boys around. I had a conversation today with a casual lurker that comes through here occasionally. This little guy was one of those "high speed, low drag" types that served WAY more than a man should be expected to. And there are others around here. So for my money I think the communication would be a little smoother if we don't get in "weight" guessing or declaring contest around here.

By the way, I have significant mass my ownself. When I was a kid I caught live rattlesnakes by hand and sold them. Thousands of them. for a while me and my cousin were rattlesnake tycoons. We were gonna get rich.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
HvyMtl

Girlycavemen

Post by HvyMtl »

I can just see it now all the Girlycavemen on a hunt and they come across a bear and one says to the other we don't have any spears left we used them all up on trying to kill this bear and the other says well get a small log and bash it over the head. He answers, why I can't do that its inhumane. Now after they return to camp with the bear and tell the story they are ridiculed for not taking more spears with them and having to kill the bear with a log!

Why don't you all put a sock in it!

Ken
Last edited by HvyMtl on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR308

Post by DR308 »

"Pitch'in your gonads on the scale" When I was reading your post I darn near split a gut on that one. I was thinking I could probably throw mine up there with the best of you. Then I read your part about the rattle snakes. That kind of put the brakes on my trip to the scales! When I got there and threw them up on the scales some one would ask "whats that?"
I would have to reply, "it's like a dick, only smaller."---Jerry :roll:
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Josh A.

DR308

Post by Josh A. »

Now that I wiped the spit off my screen (that like a dick, only smaller comment got me) I will tell you some of the rattle snake story. Its true, me and my cousin were rattle snake entrepeneurs. We made several thousand dollars about the time we graduated from high school catching live rattle snakes. I'm actually embarrassed to tell everyone some of the things we did. Suffice it to say that I have literally had a live rattle snake in each hand and kicked another away with my boot waiting for cuz' to bring a sack. I have pictures of us skinny, geeky looking boys holding our biggest catches of the season. I am holding a 71" 14lb west Texas diamondback in a few of them. The only real expanantion I have is that I was young and thought I was the baddest thing in the arroyo.

Times change, I haven't pick up a rattle snake by the tail in many years.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Josh: If you were to ask some of the guys out of camp Mc Call NC about what was the funniest thing they recall being out in the field in Uwarrie Nat Forest during operation Robin Sage, I am sure they would say it was the time they saw one of the civilian cadrey inst. [me] running into a VERY large and aggressive diamond back. I believe they described it as
"A very large man who levitated 4 feet straight up into the air, burst into blue flame, and dissapeared into the woods screaming like a girl!"
They killed that snake, it's head and 18 rattles is now in a jar at the special warfare museum at Bragg.

It's not that far from the truth. ---------- Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Todd Birch

....and the beat goes on....

Post by Todd Birch »

Gentlemen, and Leatherstocking

A lady friend has graciously made her computer available to me in my absence from home. The memorial service for my friend will not be until later this week.
I see the discussion has carried on without me.

Just as patriotism is the last resort of the scoundrel, the linguistically challenged resort to insult and innuendo. Pity; I was prepared to think better of you.
I believe that if you research my postings on this site, I have made an effort to express myself in an erudite and articulate manner, respectful of the opinions and positions of others. I have great respect for the English language as a tool of human interaction and communication and take pride in my ability to use it effectively.

It is generally considered inappropriate to spout scripture without specific reference to chapter and verse. This renders your "God of the Hunt" and "Holy Ghosts" quotes as meaningless and not germane to the discussion.

As for me having a "chip on my shoulder regarding Americans", what other paranoid illusions are you suffering under?
I have acquired several good American friends over the years, some of them from this site. I often take flak from Canadians for my defence of America on the world scene and Americans in general.
I see far more to admire and respect in them than the opposite.

Regarding my hunting ethics, you "rest your case". Refresh me. Just what was your case? It seems to have gotten lost in the rhetoric.

By the by, it appears that I connected with all three of my shots. A friend spoke with the game cutter who also works as such in the family grocery store.
One of my shots broke the right shoulder and went through the neck. A second broke his hip and the third went through the lung area and exited the other fore leg. The bear was truly well hit but tenaciously held to life.

It would appear that my marksmanship matches my hunting ethic.

TB
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
topgun

bears

Post by topgun »

I personally have seen a large black bear absorb several shots from a .338 and 30-06. I don't think an extra bullet or two would have done anything unless it was in the head. We also were trying to save the head for measuring. Shooting bears in the head is not the best anyway. A friend of mine shot one in the back of the head, thought it was dead till they went to pick it up. Two guys running through the bush to their rifles, now thats funny. The moral of the story is Do not underestimate the black bear.
Kevin
Leatherstocking

Last edited by Leatherstocking on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shiloh Business 45-70
HvyMtl

Game, case, and Match:

Post by HvyMtl »

Low blow, thats what that is, bringing up where someone hails from is a low,low blow. Whats that like when you were in kindegarten and you had nothing else to say you brought up the other persons mother ? and is it that you had nothing else to say this time that you bring the Almighty into our trivial discussion. It is my opinion that if the lord had anything to do with hunting he would make sure the animals win most of the time, why? well the near decimation of the buffalo comes to mind not for food but for greed and also to kill off a whole people. Do you think you are a good steward of the earth, wake up smell the flowers!

It makes much more sense to bring a 50/70 with three extra shells than it does to bring a flintlock and more than likely only have one chance at a shot. Yeah I know if you take a cartridge rifle you take a full ammo belt even though you only need one shot to kill game, and if after you have traveled for a couple of days into the woods and you find out oh we lost the Ammo belt and only have three shells left for hunting, you pack up and call it a day because three cartridges aren't enough to hunt with and thats the end of the hunt.

Give me a break! and put a sock in it!

Ken

P.S. When someone can articulate their thoughts better than you don't show your jealousy by thinking they are talking down to everyone except it and learn from it!
Leatherstocking

Last edited by Leatherstocking on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shiloh Business 45-70
HvyMtl

Playstation

Post by HvyMtl »

Playstation, well try not to use a Flint, and bring plenty of ammo.

Leatherstocking's post reads as follows:

I hunted big game some 30 years now with nothing more than muzzle loaders, bows and single shot 45/70 rifles. All the deer, antelope, bear, elk and with the exception of two bulls all dropped where they stood....all have been one shot kills......by the grace of God, because every hunt is bathed in prayer! The two bulls were shot with first time killing shots, however, one of the reason I carry so much extra ammo is to keep pouring lead into the bulls as they can be tough to bring down!

Just so I get this straight, you shot deer, antelope, bear, and elk with a bow and they dropped where they stood. I mean i'm really trying not to read between the lines, because you are indicating that it is due to divine intervention ?

I'm going to start to pray more before I go hunting!

Ken
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Leatherstocking,

I'm not sure how to go about responding, I don't have the volcabulary that my friend Todd has so I'll get right to the point,and I've been away a couple of days. I really didn't expect that response of yours, really!

A testimonial of a hunt was given, lets say, not unlike a personal testimonial of man coming to the lord. Would you have given that man a kick in the nuts?, not unlike the kick you gave Todd and myself. I don't think so, and we both know what would have come about from that testimonial, at least I'd hope so.

I'm going to leave this were it's at, because more being said wouldn't solve this.

Kelley O. :twisted:

P.S. I didn't read between the lines, I read exactly what you posted. So now you choose to put words in my mouth.