My First Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Plundering Bill

My First Sharps

Post by Plundering Bill »

OK fellow experts...I could use some opinions. I am strongly thinking about taking the plunge and ordering my first Sharps. My current understanding is that it takes about 2 years to get one so I want to get everything right the first time. So far, I am thinking:

Long Range Express
30 or 32" Barrel
Heavy half Octagon
Accent Line
Background Fill
Brass Escutcheons
Custom Bedding Forearm
AAA Custom Finish
Custom Length of Pull...around 14 3/4 or 15" (I am 6' 4" with a 39" Sleeve)
Pewter Tip
Polished Barrel
Black Polished Screws
Schnabble on pistol grip
Sling Swivels
Traditional Checkering
French Grey Finish with Engraving / Initals in Gold
Extra Fancy Wood

Now...here is the hard part...is there any way to see basically what this package would look like on line before ordering? I am all the way over in Virginia and the West/Midwest is a heck of a hike!

Coments and opinions please. I have really been chewing over 45-110 vs 45-90. So far...the 45-110 is winning in my heart. Before the 45-70 fans rip me apart, I already have in my collection a nice 1886 Winchester in 45-70 and my body craves something different.

With that said...I am in no way new to reloading. I currently load 31 different cartridges and do most of my own gunsmithing. I will admit that my experience with reloading BP is not heavy...just basically 45 LC and 44 Russian.

I am looking forward to the adventure with perfecting the loads in a Sharps. Obviously, it is more an art form that a science, just as in other reloading technique.

With all that said...comments please. I am new to writing topics here but I have been reading them for quite some time.

Thank you for any assistance! :D :D :D
This is my rifle...there is many like it but this one in mine!!!
skycap

Post by skycap »

Bill and fellow Virginian,
I just got a Shiloh Sharps LRE 45/70 in Oct. and have enjoyed shooting it at my local range in Yorktown. I have many features in my rifle that you are asking about -- not all but some. I (at this time ) am shooting smokless powder but in the near feture I am looking to change over to black powder, to do this I will be getting a new Shiloh in 45/90 or 110. As to your question -- If you want to look at my Shiloh one day get back to me and we can meet up someplace and if possible I might just be able to talk to a friend into bringing all 3 of his Shiloh for you to look at also. Your going to love it.

Mark
aim small - miss small = a true statement
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

Plundering Bill

Sounds like a very nice rifle you have in the plans. :D So nice in fact, that I bet you will want to shoot it a lot! :D If that is the case, I would not get that rifle in a 45-110 configuration! I have two 45-110's and I like both of them, one is a #3 16lb. bull barrel and I shoot it a lot, the other is a #3 sporter at about 11 lbs. and I rarely shoot it, it kicks, and it kicks hard; it is a fine hunting rifle and OK at the range for a short shooting session. I also have a 45-90 LRE with a 32" heavy/half that is very close to what you are planning, pretty gun, super accurate and about all I want for a long string of shots at the range.

When I first joined the gun club where I do the bulk of my shooting, there were two individuals who had just gotten new Shiloh 45-110's, a LRE and a #1 sporter. I remember the one proud owner commenting every time he pulled the trigger, "this doesn't kick too bad at all"! I asked the other owner ( whose Shiloh was the fanciest one I have yet seen ) how his gun shot? his answer, " I've only shot it one time, it kicks pretty hard"! I have never seen either of those individuals at the range again. I say, if you are going to have one Shiloh, get it in a cal. and configuration that is comfortable to shoot a lot, make the second one a 110.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
wyattjos

Post by wyattjos »

Brant:

I have a 45-70 on order and I am considering a 2nd rifle.

I know I want the 2nd rifle to have a 16 lb bull full octagon. How does the 110 feel with the bull?

What would you recommend as a barrel length? With a bull barrel, you know I am looking more for an artillery piece. This one will be for super accuracy. Since I have to drive a piece to get to a 400 yard range…I want to be able to spend a good part of the day shooting.

Caliber recommendations?

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread from Bill a little...but I don't see a lot of discussion on the 16 lb bull barrel here.

Thanks
Brent

Post by Brent »

I don't know what you plan to use it for, so it's a bit hard to say. But if you are looking for a dedicated hunting rifle and general shooter, I would go with a #3 sporter or any model with more drop to the stock. I would add the ebony bolt-on pistol grip if I really wanted a pistol grip feel.

Second, I would opt for a .45-90 or possibly .45-100 cartridge over the 110.

Third, I would order it from Bill Goodman so it would come in about 6 months instead of 20+. Costs a few hundred more.

Fourth, I would get it with plain jane wood and finish and bone case colors, no pewuter peice, and probably a crescent buttplate.

Why #4? Because somehow a Sharps just doesn't strike me a a rifle to be tarted up. Historically, it's claim to fame was as a working rifle, not an exhibition piece. I'm in the minority on that point, but you asked.

In fact, my current Sharps is exactly all of these things except that I bought it used.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
bobw

Re: My First Sharps

Post by bobw »

[quote="Plundering Bill"]OK fellow experts. My current understanding is that it takes about 2 years to get one so I want to get everything right the first time.

Ok, you asked for opinions, I'm a nice guy and going to give you some. You have just described a $5000+ rifle and you don't even have a plain one to have experienced the 74 shiloh yet. Your agonizing on cartridge choice why? For the $ you could buy 2 ordinary Shilohs ,be shooting the heck out of them while you discover what you really like for options. Be honest, are you buying the gun to shoot or look at? Pretty is as pretty does, the heart of a Shiloh is how they shoot and the precision they are built with, not all that glitz and glitter. Just like the Lays potato chips ,nobody can do just one, so its a given you will want another. Get an ordinary shooter first, a #3 or #1 with a checkered steel shotgun butt, a pewter tip, sights like you want, for the use you need. Keep it simple, that way when you simply can't stand being seen with a "plain jane" gun you can get your money back out of it. The next buyer of your old gun will still feel like the luckiest guy around. Goodman allways has something in the works in 45 cal and thats probably what you should be looking at ,as by your own admission you don't have any BP experience. Good luck, oh and by the way change your handle ,the word " Bill" allready gets dubious looks on the forum. All due respect bobw
Plundering Bill

Post by Plundering Bill »

Thank you very much for the input so far. I really appreciate your comments.

What I am seeking is a very attractive rifle that will see a decent bit of shooting time also. I shoot on my farm land (out to 200 yards) and on my in-laws land (out to 600 yards).

Recoil had never really bothered me much, I learned how to ride that a long time ago. One of the toughest recoil rifles that I ever shot was when I helped rebuild a friends 450 marlin guide gun. I went through 100 rounds in a 1-2 hour string of high pressure 405 gr loads in that 6.5# 18"rifle. That little rifle bucked a bit!

As for the cost, that never bothered me much. Spending 5k on a rifle that will be handed down to one of my son's (I have 4) does not bother me at all.

I will say that getting 2 lower priced versions does make sense and I will take that under advisement.

The reason I was moving away from 45-70 is that I wanted something a bit more difficult to tune. I pretty much have the 45-70 down pat and I want something new that will take some effort to tinker with to get right.

Now as to Plundering Bill...that is my SASS name. What is wrong with the Bill part? Are you refering to some evil dude that went PETA on us? Bill Clinton memories? A bad Bill from the IRS? What gives?

With that said...I just may have to slip down to the Chesapeake area and look at those rifles sometime! I travel around Virginia all the time with work and Old Dominion University is one of my clients.

Again, thank you for the input..feel free to comment more.
This is my rifle...there is many like it but this one in mine!!!
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

and then their are those of us who have.....

Pretty rifles with dings all over em' and we shoot em' at matches and hunt with em, and really appreciate what they were made to do. Somehow, my '74 named Rusty, looks better and better with the aging knicks and character marks left from some hard, and some easy usage.

Good luck, and buy what your heart wants, and use it like you want to, after all, it's yours!

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Boom Stick

Post by Boom Stick »

Bill,

Order whatever you want. Who cares whether you shoot it or hang it on a wall. People (I will guarentee some of the folks on this forum) have expensive art on their walls. And a Shiloh is a work of art. I have fun hunting with and shooting mine, so it is a work of art that has more to give.

I started with a 110. It is tricky; but, it depends what you are gonig to do. I have never shot silly-wets and don't aspire to. Long range is fun but I have not started to spook some of the guys who have been at it for a long time.

You will find some good info on here and some fun. You will also find some judgemental folks. Have fun with whatever you pick up.
A man need not have a dime for what makes life rich.
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="wyattjos"]Brant:

I have a 45-70 on order and I am considering a 2nd rifle.

I know I want the 2nd rifle to have a 16 lb bull full octagon. How does the 110 feel with the bull?

What would you recommend as a barrel length? With a bull barrel, you know I am looking more for an artillery piece. This one will be for super accuracy. Since I have to drive a piece to get to a 400 yard range…I want to be able to spend a good part of the day shooting.

Caliber recommendations?

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread from Bill a little...but I don't see a lot of discussion on the 16 lb bull barrel here.

Thanks[/quote]

Wyattjos

The 16 lb bull barreled Shiloh is one neat gun! :D I like mine in the 110, it is manageable in the recoil dept and is accurate. I'll probably get some arguement here but I do not believe the 110 is inherently as accurate as some other cartridges and I do not believe the heavy barrels are inherently more accurate than the lighter ones; I shoot tighter groups with my 45-90 heavy/half and my 28" heavy 45-110 than I have so far with my bull barrel job. As far as barrel length, I think Shiloh's limit is 30" on the "standard" #2 and #3 bull barrels---I'm pretty sure Kirk's arm has been twisted more than once for longer bull barrels, for me, 30" is enough.
There is a certain mystic about a plain #3 sporter with the 16 lb barrel in a Shiloh chambered for the 110, I have a choice of several nice guns and the big Shiloh is the one, more often than not, that is at the range with me, it is also the one, that will be on the plane heading for Tx and a bison hunt next week. We sometimes have the opportunity to ask, "would I do it again?" Yup! I would! :D :D

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Sgt. Jake

Post by Sgt. Jake »

Plundering Bill Bob W gave you some good council,loading blackpowder in 45-70 and geting cood results is not the same as loading it in a pistol caliber cartridge. Recoil can be an issue,I suggest you read Mike Venturions book detailing rifle cakibers. Shiloh can always lengthen chambers out ,Ya cant put it back as easy,thats called a new barrel. Adios Sgt. Jake
"Pick your man and don't let him go till he's dead. Any questions?"L. H. McNelly Texas Ranger
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

45acp
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
wyattjos

Post by wyattjos »

Brant Selb wrote:
Wyattjos

The 16 lb bull barreled Shiloh is one neat gun! :D I like mine in the 110, it is manageable in the recoil dept and is accurate. I'll probably get some arguement here but I do not believe the 110 is inherently as accurate as some other cartridges and I do not believe the heavy barrels are inherently more accurate than the lighter ones; I shoot tighter groups with my 45-90 heavy/half and my 28" heavy 45-110 than I have so far with my bull barrel job. As far as barrel length, I think Shiloh's limit is 30" on the "standard" #2 and #3 bull barrels---I'm pretty sure Kirk's arm has been twisted more than once for longer bull barrels, for me, 30" is enough.
There is a certain mystic about a plain #3 sporter with the 16 lb barrel in a Shiloh chambered for the 110, I have a choice of several nice guns and the big Shiloh is the one, more often than not, that is at the range with me, it is also the one, that will be on the plane heading for Tx and a bison hunt next week. We sometimes have the opportunity to ask, "would I do it again?" Yup! I would! :D :D

Brant
Thank you Brant for the input. I thought I would hunt with the 45-70 heavy and just range with the bull. I imagined that the bull would be too heavy to cart in the woods and snap shot offhand if need be. This is why I was asking.

I want an different round and experience with the 2nd Shiloh and am torn between 45-90, 45-110 or 50-90. That's why I latched on to you when you said you have a bull 110. I would consider a rubber shotgun butt and pistol grip this go-around to offset some of the recoil.

Now I don't consider myself a wimp with recoil...but I do have a mod 29 44 mag revolver and it becomes less fun to shoot after 10 or so rounds.

Thanks again for your thoughts. :D
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

Split the difference and get a 45-90.
I have a 45-90 a 40-90 and my beautiful new 45-110 that I just fixed because of Canada Post's mishandling.
The 45-90 will do it all for you with a lot less powder than the 45-110.
My 45-110 has a 30" heavy oct. barrel, a mercury recoil suppressor installed and it also has a 3/4" longer LOP on the shotgun stock.
I think it will be quite nice to shoot.

I'm thinking of buying one more Shiloh and I'm thinking another 40-90 str., but with a 30" heavy oct barrel.
The one I have is too long for hunting, and I think that caliber will give no quarter to anything.
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
k4xtt

Post by k4xtt »

Bill, you ever travel 81 thru the shenandoah valley give me a pm and we can meet. I have a semi fancy 45-70 1874 34" barrel and hunt with it. If I had a presentation piece I doubt if I would ever take it into the woods.

You could do like I did and pick up something to learn with on Gunbroker or another online auction. My second rifle arrived today from Arizona.

I'll be ordering that special rifle some day but not for now.

One thing to keep in mind, if you take care of the "learner" you get back all your money plus some if you resale it. Shilos are Gold!

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Victor (k4xtt)
Shilo 45-70 LRE
Trapdoor 45-70
Rolling block 43 Spanish