GEMMER - American Classic..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

A few more for those interested...

This drawing....

Turns into this....(yes, there will be no tang sight)

spelling correction.....
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

You guys/gals have been patient, sorry for the delay. I hope you are still enjoying these updates. I'm not getting much feedback so I hope this isn't becoming tedious.

Here are some interesting shots of engraving of the silver pieces inlayed in the wood. This is very difficult to do without damaging the surrounding wood. It is a high risk prospect for the engraver and really seperate the men from the boys. For those of you interested in these sorts of things, one can see that the equipment used is rather remarkable. Inlays are all done, screws are all done.

Nest time I'll have some of the detailed work as the patch box is next!

Set up is everything....wood is SOFT!

Getting ready...

Can you believe the equipment? Detailed work like you are seeing (with 10 curls being covered by a dime) are made possible by the combination of artistic skill, training and some remarkable equipment...

Looks imple enough...but folks, these are the tiny insets on either side of the forearm that surround the barrel pins.....we are looking at TINY.

Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

Damn Yankee,

Please keep the updates coming. I find this quite fascinating to watch. Gemmers are cool to begin with but this one is turning into an absolute work of art. Personnally I would like to see every step to the end. I can only wish.
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA
High Plains Shooter

Post by High Plains Shooter »

DAMN YANKEE
I'm not getting much feedback so I hope this isn't becoming tedious.
This thread\project is fascinating to me. Please keep the updates, pictures, insight, and observations coming.

Thank You! for your time and effort in posting this work of art.

HPS
DavidVanVorous

Post by DavidVanVorous »

DAMN YANKEE wrote:You guys/gals have been patient, sorry for the delay. I hope you are still enjoying these updates. I'm not getting much feedback so I hope this isn't becoming tedious.

Here are some interesting shots of engraving of the silver pieces inlayed in the wood. This is very difficult to do without damaging the surrounding wood. It is a high risk prospect for the engraver and really seperate the men from the boys. For those of you interested in these sorts of things, one can see that the equipment used is rather remarkable. Inlays are all done, screws are all done.

Nest time I'll have some of the detailed work as the patch box is next!

Set up is everything....wood is SOFT!

Getting ready...

Can you believe the equipment? Detailed work like you are seeing (with 10 curls being covered by a dime) are made possible by the combination of artistic skill, training and some remarkable equipment...

Looks imple enough...but folks, these are the tiny insets on either side of the forearm that surround the barrel pins.....we are looking at TINY.

Ive always been facinated by the engraving art but never really had the patience. Of particular interest is in "looking over the engravers shoulder" as it were, even the inletting of the pieces in to the wood is perfect. Many times youll see chisel marks and such near the inle where the inletter "missed" slightly which most times can be seen withthe naked eye. In this case one needs magnification via the engravers microscope and even then its a matter of knowing what to look for...THATS phenomenal workmanship!

Maybe its cuz I forgot over the duration of the thread but is the finished work going to be french grey?

D.
Curmudgeon in Training

"The main proponent for fly fishing is the worm"
McManus.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Thanks for the kind words. To give credit where credit is due, one of the very best stock makers in the Sharps world did the wood work on this one, his name is Don Franklin (yep same name as the expedition) his work is always a joy to behold. THis rifle was very complicated (Not one but two Compass Roses in the stock and all the trimmings of a Gemmer).
The metal work was all done by Joe Seeley, none finer there either.

YEs, French Grey is recommended and I'm ok with it. There are so many good things happening with this rifle, by so many good people that I am confident that when it all comes together the overall presentation will be incredible.

On that subject, what may become the world's most important firearms auction is about to take place in Maine this Oct. Amoung other Sharps, The Quigley Rifle and a little Big Horn Sharps are up for sale. Should be fantastic!

Check it out here....

http://www.juliaauctions.com/press_releases/pr_2008.asp

Anybody traveling up will be met by a very strong Sharps contingency
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Detail, detail, detail....

Barry is now into the last stage of this engraving project. Huge amounts of work and, with the scroll work done, its all pure artisitc graphic work.

The receiver panels become clearer....

The patch box completed....

Going to be one heck of a rifle....
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

This panel is done.........whew!

DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

The final patch box....

Wyoming Roughrider

Post by Wyoming Roughrider »

Incredible!!! and Beautiful!!!

I suspect you have not gotten much feedback because some of us are speechless. Thank you very much for sharing.

Roger
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

I never thought you could make jewelry out of steel.
Thanks for shareing.
When all other sharps go to sleep at night, they have nightmares about this gun. :shock:
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Thank you, much appreciated.

The engraving part of this project is now winding down. There are still three good size panels to be cut, one of them entering compleation as I write this. I must admit that I myself always wanted to see the full development of a Sharps engraving project and am very pelased that Barry has allowed this many pictures to interrupt his work. It is rare and in a sense we are very fortunate. More than 18,000 individual photos of this work have now been downloaded off of the various sites, pretty remarkable world we live in. It is now being featured on a good number of engraving web sites both here and overseas. Seems everybody loves a Gemmer Sharps rifle.

I'll be sure and post out the last engraved pieces and the barrel engraving and the final assembly as I can.
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

DY,
You know what surprises me is that the engravers equipment and gadgets
are almost as captivating as his work. I mean, Who and where could you get such contraptions?
Ive seen less sofisticated equipment in a hospital operating room. 8)
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

Have you considered putting a book together of this project? A large format illustrated narative of this project would be quite enjoyable.
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA