GEMMER - American Classic..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Post by Brent »

Interesting how the two rifles shown are both doubles. I suppose they could be shotguns, but perhaps they listed double rifles on their manifests.

Coin finish is the way to go to do that engraving justice. I would love to hear details of how that process will be done - I have heard several different versions of what "coined" finish means. And I have plans to do this myself with a new rifle - currently being conceived but not quite born.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Remember, the rifles shown here are those used by the team that perished....all Brits. Americans and their Sharps came many years later to find their bones.....
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yeah, I know, but still, doubles don't seem the stuff of expeditions of this sort. Could be wrong about that, so that is why I was wondering about manifests.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
High Plains Shooter

Post by High Plains Shooter »

WOW!
Harry Eales.

Post by Harry Eales. »

Trigger Dr wrote:Do my eyes deceive me or is that a brass tip on the hammer nose? NICE touch!!!
almost as beautiful as my wife.
I doubt that it a Brass Tip on the hammer, far more likely it is gold plate finish. Brass would need replacing after less than 100 rounds had been fired, it would have been battered to death it is so soft.

A lot of good quality BP rifles had internal and some external parts gold plated to try and avoid pitting from the fouling caused when BP is used as a propellant.

Harry
Learn to live with recoil and then ignore it. Thinking about it makes you flinch, and you then won't hit what your shooting at, unless by accident.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Good Morning Harry!

Neither, just a trick of the light.
RupertBear

Post by RupertBear »

Absolutely GORGEOUS rifle!
Who Dares Wins
Uncle Ethan

Post by Uncle Ethan »

That is a supreme example of a Gemmer. I have one built by Shiloh off one of their carbines when they were in Long Island, and it is just a plain Jane in 45-90.
That will be the day
Life member NRA
pete

Post by pete »

Yea' it's pretty nice I guess, I've got 3 like it out in the garage. :) Seriously, I think even if somebody isn't interested in guns they would appreciate this phenominal piece of art.
El Mac

Post by El Mac »

I actually hate to see this project come to an end.

But please, you have to post pictures of this thing in action! It must be shot.
Wyoming Roughrider

Post by Wyoming Roughrider »

Stunning!!! Breathtaking!!!!

Thank You for allowing us to share in your project.
Jeff Bryan

You don't have to squint to see it.

Post by Jeff Bryan »

That Gemmer rifle is more beautiful of a rifle than last year's Playmate of the Year is a gorgeous woman.
Brant Selb

Re: You don't have to squint to see it.

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="Jeff Bryan"]That Gemmer rifle is more beautiful of a rifle than last year's Playmate of the Year is a gorgeous woman.[/quote]

Jeff

No doubt that is a beautiful rifle, but you must be getting old!! :D :D

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Jeff Bryan

You sure about that?

Post by Jeff Bryan »

I don't know Brant, you could walk into a club with that rifle, and it's so goodlooking you could walk out with any woman you wanted. :D
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

The Arctic Sharps was picked up in Big Timber...nice to be back there. Quick trip down to the Cody Firearms Museum as well....astonishing as usual.

If anybody wants any addional shots, let me know and I'll try to take some.