With my long lost Franklin I'd cross the main
Ten thousand pounds I would freely give
To say on earth that my Franklin lives
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Michael Johnson

Franklin expedition

Post by Michael Johnson »

Damn Yankee you would enjoy Pierre Berton's book "The Arctic Grail" , it is about the quest for the Northwest passage and a major part of it is devoted to the search for the Franklin expedition. The book is out of print but can usually be found for sale on the net. It is not a light read being about 670 pages, but it is a great read about the state of Naval exploration during the 1800's covering the importance of rations, provisioning, clothing, and ship design. - Mike p.s. I love that rifle you are building!
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

For those that have followed this thread, we have seen a remarkable collection of American greats traveling to see Barry and the rifle.

Here is a shot of Winston Churchill, considered by many of his peers as quite possibly the greatest American gun engraver of all time. Jerry Fisher stands on the right. What an honor for Barry and this Arctic Sharps!

Winston Churchill
GMP Instructor 2005, 2007

http://www.forbes.com/business/fyi/2006/1030/113.html

http://wchurchill.com/

"Churchill was born on the Vermont farm where he still practices his artistry today. This farm, given to his ancestors for their service in the Revolutionary War, serves to illustrate a kind of immortality to the engraving arts which are created within its walls.

Churchill grew up artistically talented and began working on stocking rifles at an early age. Fascinated with engraving, he sought out examples of work by other engravers and eventually found employment with Joe Fugger who was with Abercrombie and Fitch in New York. It was here that Churchill learned the fine European techniques, eventually leading to more opportunities to learn additional engraving styles and techniques from other masters.

One of Churchill’s specialties is his realistic treatment of animal and bird scenes. These serve to illustrate his obsession for accuracy and detail which he is famous for. Churchill’s tasteful use of scroll work to accent the areas around an intricate game scene creates a finished piece which is a joy to behold."
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Well, here are the first, pre final surface finish, post engraving and now re-assembled shots....

The Arctic Sharps...

Engraved by Barry Lee Hands...

My, my, my....
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

The final panel.....

Brent

Post by Brent »

So, is this to be blued, colored, or greyed? I sure hope it is French greyed to show this off.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Lee, putting it all back together again.....carefully.

Now Back to the shop for final hardening and final finish....

DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

A DESKTOIP PHOTO FOR YOU GUYS AND GALS

DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

I'm thinking that is all Folks....I hope you enjoyed the process and the end results. Believe me when I tell you one rarely gets to see engravers progess to this degree.

For those that hafvent seen an engravers forum. Here is one with the coverage of the rifle. One of the gentleman responsing is Phil Coggan, the greatest living European engraver....

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1998

Best, Damn Yankee

Let the Silence Begin!
delta1

Actic Gemmer

Post by delta1 »

An absolutly stunning piece of artwork.The desktop photograph says it all.
Regards Tim
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Thanks Delta1, much appreciated, was beginning to wonder what the final verdict was....
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well sir, I have been following your saga building your Gemmer and I have to say, that rifle is one of the most beautiful pieces of Functional Art I have ever seen. You are to be sincerely congratulated in your accomplishment, along with all the artists who worked on the project with you. It has been a real privilege being able to follow along through your very gracious posts. Thank you
Lee Stone
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

Is it possible to get a last shot that shows the entire rifle, stem to stern, port and starboard (or leeward and windward if you prefer), in one frame??

A beautiful work of art!!
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Many thanks everybody appreciates the comments. Quite a bit of work went into putting this all together.

1. The metal will all be hardened, coined, barrel blued.

2. When everything is finalized I'll take some full shots. They are always a drag to take as they rarely come out well.

Long before Frank Frazetta, Julius Payer created art like this in 1897.

The Franklin Expeditions last night..