Wind Direction - Deflection Chart ... Neat

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RealMikeT

Post by RealMikeT »

John boy,

Let me know if that chart actually works for you. It does not square with my efforts to shoot LR into a head or tail wind with out taking into account a couple of minutes of elevation.

That chart must be for Hipower shooting.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

This chart is pretty much usless for A bpcr shooter, a 8 mph tail wind has one hell of a difference in Elevation at any yardage past 400 yards, ditto for a head wind.

Shiloh Sells a much better Chart suited to the BPCR shooter taking into account the BC of most standard BPCR slugs.

I happen to know the fella that came up with it with alot of help From Sir Henry St John Halford. :wink:

The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Also would like to know how it works out...granted I still have an elementary understanding of BPRC and wind effect, but I found this link to be useful in understanding a wind component
I found it useful in Gong shoots at ranges over 400yds

http://www.uslink.com/~tom1/WindVector.htm

Cheers
Last edited by Dakota Dick on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

Dick,
The one you posted is the one to use.
Ken
"When small men begin to cast long shadows the sun is setting" (unknown)
Minnesota AL

Wind charts

Post by Minnesota AL »

Yeah, I agree with the previous posts, the head and tail wind need to be figured for LR. This is only a fair approximation for cross winds only.

The head/tail wind issue doesn't seem to be too big of an issue till you get 600 out and further. A strong wind no doubt makes a difference in closer. But, I was amazed how a mild wind effected the elevation at 1000 yards. I have no idea of the effects for mph, but we were shooting at 1000 and I'd estimate the wind at 7 mph and it would switch to a 6 o'clock. A center hold with that wind would net you a shot at the top or completely over that big ole target.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
RMulhern

Wind chart!

Post by RMulhern »

Iffen ya wants to learn all about how wind....strong wind...effects ya bullet.....build ya a 72" x 72" mainframe like I've posted photos here of before. Go get ya two pieces of plywood 8' x 4' and affix same to either side of said frame and pick a day when she's a blowin bout 40 mph straight from 3-9 o/clock and using ya DWZ.....fire away!! Iffen ya be lucky....you'll maybe find a hit way out to the side...higher or lower...depending on which time she be blowin from!!

I learnt all about this shootin an M1 Garand in Colorado 50 years ago....and these BPCR bullets ain't goin near the speed of the .30 caliber!! :lol: :wink:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!