.448 "Money Bullet" For a Gibbs Rifle

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

45bpcr

.448 "Money Bullet" For a Gibbs Rifle

Post by 45bpcr »

So what are the advantages to this bullet? I see BAC lists a couple of new molds in thier 09 cataloge in this diameter. A 520 grn money bullet and a 540grn. Creedmoor
I ask because I just bought a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle. I order to expitite my shooting experience I also orderd their mold. The results were not all that good with the mold casting over sized bullets. When I run them through a .449 sizing die it becomes apparent that thier not really round either. The nose portion is larger than the grease grooves and upon sizing, one side of the nose is sized more than the other.
I have many 45 cal. molds for my cartridge guns. I tried sizing some of those down to .448 but it just made a mess of every design I own.
I've always been very pleased with any product I've purchased from BAC and will be placing an order with them for one of the platinum lined nipples they sell and probably a Lee Shave sight for the Gibbs. ( The stock unit leaves something to be desired as well )

45Bpcr AKA QWB
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
arnie

Post by arnie »

I would send that mould back as all of mine from BA have been very good . The Monet Bullet has proven to be ballisticaly superior to almost any thing out there . BTW i think they will custom make sizes other than whats in there catalog .Arnie
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

45 BPCR,

I am a Gibbs shooter too. I have two identical Brooks moulds for this rifle except for the one is PP and the other is a GG bullet. The PP bullet will cast .442" and patches to 0.448-0.449" and works well in this rifle. The GG bullet casts at .449" and goes in the barrel just fine.

I also have Paul Jones PP Money bullet for this rifle and it casts at 0.442 as well. 9 LB air mail / onionskin as it is sometimes called will patch the Brooks or the Paul Jones bullets up to the correct diameter for my rifle. I don’t know if all P.Gibbs will be the same or not.

I have had great luck with the Buffalo Arms moulds in my other BPC Rifles and I think they are a very good value for the money spent. I have not looked at their offerings lately but if they have a 0.442 PP money Bullet it should be something that will work well in your rifle. I have shot some of my best scores at 1000y with the Paul Jones PP Money Bullet and Gibbs.

When you say the catalog lists a 0.448 PP bullet (my words) what is the as cast diameter? As you likely know, you want a bullet that patches UP TO just under bore size. You really don’t want to have to push hard on the bullet to get it down on the powder. Just light pressure from a rod and your hand at arms length is the MOST you want to use seating the bullet. Use lighter or heaver paper to achieve this fit.

I think you are an easterner by the “Live Free or Die” Too bad as there are not enough of us west of the Mississippi to even get a match going.

Best of luck,
Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
40-70SS

Post by 40-70SS »

I too shoot a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle, I bought three different Lee sizing dies to resize my Paul Jones Creedmoor bullets(.458) to fit the Gibbs. I cast near pure lead or 40:1.The resizing dies are .452/.449 and .448. I have no problems resizing and they shoot extremely well.The resizing die is the best product Lee makes.I have no need for another bullet mold for this rifle. I have also resized the Lyman Postell and have very good results with resized PJ being a little more accurate.
HPT

Post by HPT »

Michael Rix wrote:45 BPCR,

I am a Gibbs shooter too. I have two identical Brooks moulds for this rifle except for the one is PP and the other is a GG bullet. The PP bullet will cast .442" and patches to 0.448-0.449" and works well in this rifle. The GG bullet casts at .449" and goes in the barrel just fine.

I also have Paul Jones PP Money bullet for this rifle and it casts at 0.442 as well. 9 LB air mail / onionskin as it is sometimes called will patch the Brooks or the Paul Jones bullets up to the correct diameter for my rifle. I don’t know if all P.Gibbs will be the same or not.

I have had great luck with the Buffalo Arms moulds in my other BPC Rifles and I think they are a very good value for the money spent. I have not looked at their offerings lately but if they have a 0.442 PP money Bullet it should be something that will work well in your rifle. I have shot some of my best scores at 1000y with the Paul Jones PP Money Bullet and Gibbs.

When you say the catalog lists a 0.448 PP bullet (my words) what is the as cast diameter? As you likely know, you want a bullet that patches UP TO just under bore size. You really don’t want to have to push hard on the bullet to get it down on the powder. Just light pressure from a rod and your hand at arms length is the MOST you want to use seating the bullet. Use lighter or heaver paper to achieve this fit.

I think you are an easterner by the “Live Free or Die” Too bad as there are not enough of us west of the Mississippi to even get a match going.

Best of luck,
Michael Rix
Mr. Rix,

Do you have any suggestions as to which shoots better in the Gibbs Rifle GG or PP? What alloy? Do you use Felt or other types of wads? What fouling control? I'm also interested in a Gibbs.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Ayuh, I'm from NH. Live Free or Die.
Say's so right on our licence plates.

I'm gonna try that Gibb's seriously this weekend. I ordered a .448 sizing die from BA and sized that bullet right down. I also cast some more this week using 30-1 and the pedersoli mold. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. It's a $30.00 mold so I guess I can't b!tch. Just for kicks I tried sizing down some of the different bullets I use in my 45 cartridge rifles. Sure dosn't leave much depth to the grease grooves :-) I see a couple more molds in my future

Oh, and I write Molds instead of Moulds because if I remember right it used to p!ss off a guy on the old shooter's site, HorseFly I think he called himself :-)

45Bpcr, alias QWB
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils