For those that enjoy western art this guy is fantastic

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

For those that enjoy western art this guy is fantastic

Post by dm3280 »

Found this guy that I think does fantastic paintings. He needs to do a buffalo hunt though

http://www.alfredoartist.com/
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Back in the days when I was in my teens, some 40 years ago, I use to visit a gunsmith. His shop was in his home basement and just about the time you hit the last step there was a calendar right there in your face. It was one of the neatest pictures I have ever seen and I have been trying to find it for 20 years or so. I even called the gunsmith and asked him if he still had the calendar. He said he remembered it but had thrown it out years ago. It was a seen in the woods with two frontiersmen. They had their flintlock rifles up and a grizzly bear was at full charge. There was blue smoke as they had fired at the bear and there was at least one or two rifles on a log with smoke coming out of the bore. I always wondered when I saw that photo, who won, the bear or the shooters? I am still interested in finding this picture and if anybody can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Alan
Alan in WI
johnny magnum

Post by johnny magnum »

Very Nice Work!

Check out this site also
Russdocken.com

[/img]
johnny magnum

Post by johnny magnum »

....and here is what his work looks like uhttp://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx236/johnnymagnum4590/Tattoo/p close and personal...
johnny magnum

Post by johnny magnum »

This one?
Kirk Stovall

Re: For those that enjoy western art this guy is fantastic

Post by Kirk Stovall »

dm3280 wrote:Found this guy that I think does fantastic paintings. He needs to do a buffalo hunt though

Nice picture, but I'm afraid he didn't frequent too many gold camps. Most everyone in the picture is 40-50 years older than anyone lived to be in those days and conditions.

Ralph Heinz on the other hand not only does good paintings, he is an historian as well. All his work is researched and meticulously accurate to gear, clothing and all related aspects of his work.

This is a Buffalo hunter with a Sharps that can be identified as such, right down to the Walter Cooper sights on the gun...

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
dm3280

Post by dm3280 »

How can you tell how old those guys are in the paintings. Maybe they are 20 years old but due to the conditions and the time they just look 40 - 50 or older. :-)
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

I bet he used live models for these pictures. Nice pictures, but most of them look like the folks you would see at a present day rendezvous or SASS event. You know, guys our age playing. Just guessing. :)

His Indian pictures look the best, and their ages look more correct, at least too this amatuer's eye. I'd love to see these in a gallery.
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

I'd be willing to buy (if I had the money) pictures from either of these guys mentioned on this post, or prints:

or
http://www.russdocken.com/

They're both pretty good, and not everybody died real young back then. And a hard life can make you look older than you are, that's for sure.
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA
dm3280

Post by dm3280 »

I agree, both are exceptional. I did find a water color by Alfredo that was 11 x 16 for sale. Over $6000. As much as I like his work I would rather buy 2 more Shiloh rifles. I like art but prefer art that I can go out and play with
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

Given my druthers, I'd druther have the Sharps Rifles too! :lol:
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I think they are really great, the detail is remarkable, especially the one girls' hair, and the horses are fantastic. Pretty cool...

charlie
kb8njh

Post by kb8njh »

I have the Ralph Heinz Print in my Office. I get the first comments on this then the additional Range Pictures I have. Couple of guys so far went on to buy Rifles. Was given as a gift to me I am thankful and proud to own it..Greg
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

kb8njh wrote:I have the Ralph Heinz Print in my Office. I get the first comments on this then the additional Range Pictures I have. Couple of guys so far went on to buy Rifles. Was given as a gift to me I am thankful and proud to own it..Greg
If you look in the bottom of the picture, you will see that Ralph signed the print for me. I guess I am more enamored with historically correct pictures, but knowing the artist as well makes it that much better.

His knowledge on guns and history is legendary as well. He was involved with the forensics at the Custer Battlefield as well as the Bighole Battlefield. I learned a lot from him about my "Cooper" Sharps, and he also sent me buckles to complete my set of 1870s Cavalry spurs.

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Gregory Young

Post by Gregory Young »

I've a couple Texas Landscapes by Larry Dyke:

Mathew 9:37
and
Proverbs 23:10 (my favorie)

Both as inheritance, otherwise I wouldn't have them.
Greg

Creedmoore Target 45-70
Buisiness Rifle 45-70

NRA Life (EPL)
NMLRA