French Gray Finish Question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

French Gray Finish Question

Post by Texas Shooter »

Does the French Gray engraved finish, when used with the Background fill, take on an overall antiqued looked, or does it remain shiney with dark engraving lines?

Thanks, Ty O'Neal
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Ty, the french gray is going to stay pretty shiney. It is hardened so as not to wear to bad. Thanks Kirk
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Texas, to my understanding, and I may be wrong, the French Gray finish on these rifles (I have one in this finish) starts out as a color cased action where the color is basically polished off and the shinney metal, while hardened is left to glow in the the sunlight. It is a beautiful finish. Some of my friends like it very much, and don't like the color cased, and some others are just the opposite and like the color cased but not the French Gray which looks like stainless steel.

Personally I like both, and ease of maintenance is identical for both.

While I was at Shiloh earlier this month I saw a rifle with the Hammer Screw and a bright blue finish that had been engraved. If I were to have the money to have engraving done, that is the way I would have it. It was spectacular!!! Hope this helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

My rifle is french grey with real dark red wood from treebone and it is a beautiful contrast especially after the blueing has faded a mite with carrying
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Dear PowderBurner and Omaha Poke:

Thanks for the replies. The French Gray and the Bone and Charcoal both have my eye. I do like engraving and the French Gray sure is more cost effective. After reading you 'alls post I did the unthinkable, I went ahead and put in for another gun.

I'm probably the only "Weak" one on the forum but what can I say? ;-)

I am hoping to see some pictures of some other rifles in the near future so I can learn from everyone else.

If you have any other thoughts pro or con, feel free to post, I check it all the time.

-Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Texas, I changed my LRE to French Grey when I was in Big Timber in September. I got to check out Kenny's 45 2 7/8 on the way up to Big Timber and really liked the way it looked. When I got there Lucinda let me take a look at her gun and I was sold. It is a really nice finish. I still have to figure out my engraving yet. Should go into production in about a month so I guess I need to get with it. As for being weak, I would assume that was a joke right? I own one in case hardened finish, have one on order in french grey, and I really like the bone charcoal so I guess I need to start planning #3. I have a 45-70, soon to have a 45-110. What should the next one be? I know what your thinking Lee Stone. Not sure I want a 50-90 just yet HeHe.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Dear Buckeye:

Yes, I was just kidding..............sort of. ;-) I am new to the Blackpowder Era guns. I am having a blast. I have collected for years mainly 20th century firearms with my late Grandfather.(The Best Guy Ever!)

For me a logical progression forward seems to be moving backward in time. I do enjoy antiques, however I don't like to "use" them. (I feel guilty!) So here I am, a design from the past, enjoyed in the present, kept for some lucky relative in the future. ;-)

I had posted on the support page about a picture post for rifles. I would really enjoy being able to look at some of the other rifles they have made.

-Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ahhh, come on Buckeye! :D
Lee Stone
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Come on buckeye,
Havin a SHARPS that don't shoot is like havin a bank account with no money, or a wife that don't cook
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Trigger Dr., think ya got the wrong guy. Texas Shooter said he don't like to use his antiques. My fiance get's into that collecting old stuff. I give her grief about it all the time. What good is having something if you don't plan on using it? My new LRE is going to be awful pretty, but I bet you it won't be in my hands longer than a few hours before she tastes a good dose of Goex down her bore. I have an old Winchester model 61 22 rimfire that I'm restoring and soon as it's done it going to get shot. That's what it's made to do and I'll definetly not leave it in the safe to collect dust.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Buckeye:

A part of me would love to take them (Antique Guns) and shoot them all the time, It's a great question, after thinking about it, these are my thoughts.

As a collector and an admirer of fine guns, their value in history, and the workmanship dedicated to their manufacture, I look at a Fine Antique Gun as something to be enjoyed from a historical and visual perspective, to be passed down to future Gun lovers and collectors. As only a temporary custodian, I would rather shoot an exact replica, and perserve to the best of my ablity, the heritage and condition of the originals.

I'm probably the exception, but that is how I was raised.

Give me your thoughts, Too "Anal Retentive?"

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Texas Shooter,
I agree with you. Buy a Shiloh Sharps and get into the action, and save the originals for the future generations that may be suprised how quality has gone down hill in almost everything we buy. That lost art of craftsmanship is what makes some of our custom gunsmiths and custom rifle manufactures so important to those that recognize "craftsmanship" in a product.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Texas, I respect your feelings I just don't share them totally. I shoot all my guns, but I also take very good care of them. The Winchester 61 and a Winchester 42 in 218 Bee are just two of the guns that I have that are worth substantially more now than originally but I still like to shoot them. The 218 Bee will shoot 5 shot groups under 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. I wouldn't take this gun and hang it in a gun rack in the back of a pickup, but I do shoot it every now and then. This was my dads gun from when he was a teenager and I have good memories of shooting groundhogs with him when I was just big enough to hold a gun (almost). I wasn't in any way trying to demean your thoughts earlier I just feel differently about it. By the way the model 61 belonged to my grandfather and I found it in his basement after he died. Nice gun but needs some TLC. Take care and get your Shiloh and if you ever make it to Ohio let's do some shooting.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Sorry about the typo. The 218 Bee is a model 43. The model 42 was a shotgun.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Buckeye and Texas shooter... Sorry for the mistaken identity in my post.
I understand your position re antiques, and respect your thoughts.. Anal retentive? not in the least. This is what makes it interesting, if we all felt the same it would get awful boring very quickly. I too, have a few old guns, an 86 winchester, 45/90 ser No. 42xxx, Dad bought new, another 86 in 33 win that I found in a pawn shop, and a 73 winchester that has been fired only 10 times. I found this gun in the basement of an old Dr office that had been converted into a sporting goods store in Livingston, Mont, in 1953. The owner told me that if I cleaned out the basement, he would make it into an indoor archery range, and I could have anything that I found. Well one of the things I found was a CASE of 73 winchesters. all of them wrapped in oilskin. But he only let me keep 1. This is the ONLY gun that I have that I do not shoot. Your thoughts on preserving the antiquities are wise and thoughtful for future generations. maybe I should re think my position. I will think on it for the next 20 years. By then I will be too old to lift a rifle much less fire it.
Respectfully
Trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation