"Super-Duper" heavy barrel

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mike Hansen

"Super-Duper" heavy barrel

Post by Mike Hansen »

In his book, Frank Sellers speaks of original Sharps rifles weighing 25 pounds. If the heaviest 34 inch Bull barrel produces a 16 pound rifle and the 34 inch #3 heavy barrel an 18 pound rifle, is there a name for the barrel that will produce a 25 pound rifle?

Just thinking out loud,

Mike
from Shiloh:
1874 "Military Carbine" (7 1/2 lb, 22" bbl) in .45-70
1874 "Sporter #1" (25 lb, 34" bbl) in .45-70, rechambered to .45-110
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

They would have needed to put wheels on that sucker if I was going to shoot it. :lol:
Lee Stone
Omak Cowboy

25 poun gun

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Hey, Lee,
If it had a lanyard on it, along with the wheels, it could really be fun!
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Oh yeah! Talk about being the envy of the plains! :lol:
Lee Stone
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Yep. It is called a cannon. Like Lee said it would require wheels. :D :D :D Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

well you might not pack it very far but the recoil would be real light althoughyou would swayback a horse if you layed it across the saddle to shoot.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Been looking at .50 BMG singleshots. Got to hold one awhile back that weighed close to 40lbs. I know one thing you wouldn't be carrying it very far. A 25lb Sharps. Cross sticks made from 2X4's to hold that gun I guess.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

25# Sharps? heck, that wouldn't bother a real MAN, just don't ask me to carry it.
trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
deerhuntsheatmeup

24 lb 4 oz Shiloh...

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I know a guy who stuffed his bull barreled Big 50's stock with lead to make it weigh exactly the double weight limit. It don't kick much. Barfield
Omak Cowboy

25 lb Sharps

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Trigger writes:
25# Sharps? heck, that wouldn't bother a real MAN, just don't ask me to carry it.

Ah, Trigger, I think that's why there are things called "Gun Bearers", yah yea, I know, not PC, not PC.

Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Mike Hansen

Re: 24 lb 4 oz Shiloh...

Post by Mike Hansen »

[quote="deerhuntsheatmeup"]I know a guy who stuffed his bull barreled Big 50's stock with lead to make it weigh exactly the double weight limit. It don't kick much. Barfield[/quote]

That reminds me of a photo in Sellers' book. It shows J. P. Lower in front of a gun rack that includes a Sharps-Borchardt. Using black tape, he attached weights below the barrel to make his rifle heavier.

I thought more folks were familiar with the 25 pound rifles. Sellers shows photos of a few and they are impressive to say the least.

I am investigating the possibility of obtaining a 25 pound 1874 reproduction, so far without positive results.

One thing I did learn, Wells Rifle Shop in Waynesboro, Mississippi no longer makes Sharps rifles.

Mike
from Shiloh:
BIG50

Post by BIG50 »

Mike
Im under the impression Sharps made rifles close to any specs for their clients so I assume that was a extreem custom order. Im with you on the BIG BIG guns and would like to know if you locate someone to make such a rifle. Im sure you can get anything if willing to pay enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
I wonder if Badger barrels would custom make a etremely heavy barrel for the right price that you could fit to an exhisting rifle. Something to think about.

BIG 50
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

At the Quigley match the past couple of years there have been a couple of guys shooting 18# Sharps. I don't know how they did in the overall competition, but it sure is fun to watch when they are in the Off Hand portion of the match!! :) :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I'll bet it would have been even more entertaining to watch them do the off hand shooting if they had had 25 pounders. :wink:

I would think that a good weight regime in the gym would be useful if shooting one of those babies.
Lee Stone
Mike Hansen

Post by Mike Hansen »

[quote="BIG50"]Mike
Im under the impression Sharps made rifles close to any specs for their clients so I assume that was a extreem custom order. Im with you on the BIG BIG guns and would like to know if you locate someone to make such a rifle. Im sure you can get anything if willing to pay enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
I wonder if Badger barrels would custom make a etremely heavy barrel for the right price that you could fit to an exhisting rifle. Something to think about.

BIG 50[/quote]

Hope I don't get in trouble here speaking about C. Sharps, but they do offer 18 pound 1874s with the 34 inch long #3 octagon heavy barrel. They use Badger barrels and the lady I spoke to on the phone said that barrel is the heaviest they (C. Sharps) can go.

Even if Badger could make the barrel for a 25 pound rifle, I'm sure there would be other problems to overcome, like making the forearm. It's probably not worth the trouble, but I'm still trying.

Mike
from Shiloh: