Rifle for Africa??

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

What would you consider the best all-around Shiloh Sharps rifle caliber for hunting in Africa?

40-90 3 ¼ ST
5%
45-70 2-1/10 ST
29%
45-110 2 7/8 ST
44%
45-120 3 ¼ ST
2%
50-90 2 ½ ST
20%

Total votes: 41

Doug

Rifle for Africa??

Post by Doug »

If you were to build a Shiloh Sharps to hunt the Dark Continent, what would you build?

Model
Caliber (poll question or comment if you'd prefer a different caliber)
Sights
Barrel Length
Misc. Options
Etc.
Seth Hawkins

Post by Seth Hawkins »

1874 Hartford
44-77 or 44-90. Paper patched, of course. :wink:
Semi buckhorn rear, globe front
28"-30" barrel length
Patch box - conveniently holds extra sight inserts

Wow. I just described my rifle.

Disclaimer - I am not a hunter by any stretch of the imagination. :lol:
Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Semper Fi
rdnck

Sharps for Africa

Post by rdnck »

Doug--I have been to Africa three times, and twice I carried a Shiloh Business Rifle in 45-110. The third time, this past October, I carried my Shiloh Number One Sporter in 45-70. Either caliber will get the job done with straight black powder, but I do advise using a bullet that weighs 480 grains as a MINIMUM. The 520 grain Lyman Govt. bullet will work for everything and is a fine choice. The 45-70 has plenty of horsepower for everything up to and including Cape Buffalo with black powder as long as you use a 500 grain bullet.

It looks like I will be going back for Cape Buffalo in 2012, and when that comes around I will very likely carry my Business Rifle in 45-70 and shoot the Govt. bullet or a 511 grain roundnosed paper patched bullet I have. Either that or the 45-110.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Brent

Post by Brent »

Until you tell us what you are going to hunt and how you will hunt it, I don't think there is much to say.

I took a .45-100 for plains game (up to and including eland) in Namibia, hunting on foot. It was overkill.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brent

Post by Brent »

And what sort of bullet and powder do you want to use?
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

Doug

I spent nearly 3 months hunting in Zim in 1989 and again in May 1990 through the end of August in 1990. I carried a .416 Rigby and then switched to a Westley Richards .500 nitro express double rifle. I wouldn't change a thing. :D Of course it depends on what you want to hunt; rdnck's experience has shown just how affective the big Sharps .45's can be, if dangerous game is on the menu, make sure your PH has one of those .500 nitros I mentioned!

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Brent wrote:Until you tell us what you are going to hunt and how you will hunt it, I don't think there is much to say.

I took a .45-100 for plains game (up to and including eland) in Namibia, hunting on foot. It was overkill.

As I said....."best all-around rifle".....so, let's assume a variety of game.

As far as bullet/powder....no reason to split hairs at this point.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Doug wrote:
Brent wrote:Until you tell us what you are going to hunt and how you will hunt it, I don't think there is much to say.

You have game animals that very across roughly two orders of magnitude. Maybe three. One gun for all seems foolish.

NONE OF THE ABOVE would likely be my vote.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Brent wrote:
Doug wrote:

You have game animals that very across roughly two orders of magnitude. Maybe three. One gun for all seems foolish.

NONE OF THE ABOVE would likely be my vote.
Good for you....then move on to another topic.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Doug wrote:Good for you....then move on to another topic.
testy eh?

Hope your evening improves.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've not been to Africa, and can only go on the experience I've had with game here, and the reports of friends who have been to Africa.
I see no reason to go with anything other than the good ol 45-70, plenty of horsepower and I"m betting that in a pinch if your ammo got lost or misplaced somewhere between leaving the house and getting to Africa, there's a better chance of finding 45-70's than some of the other stuff.
Altho I have to say just for the "kewul" factor a 44-77 would be a fun one..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
n77737

Post by n77737 »

I hunted Botswana in the late '80s using my Long Range Express in 40-90BN. Although I would not recommend this cartridge for black powder it did the job with a full case of 3031 and a 400gr paper patched bullet, at around 2200 fps. I cut the barrel to 30" and used a blade front sight and Ideal type tang sight. This combo worked perfect for everything from Impala to Cape Buffalo. By the way, I do not recommend the load above, after that hunt I never fired one of those loads again. The gun now sports a 40-65 barrel and is used for competition. Hunting Africa with a Shiloh was very rewarding and I highly recommend the experience.

Dave
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I wouldn't have a clue. I would say listen to Rdnk's experience and success at it.
Makes sense with the popularity of the .458 Win on the continent using 500 grain bullets. MD
bobw

Post by bobw »

If I ever get to Africa, I'd figure it as a one time deal. Don't even have to think about it ,one gun and cartridge for everything, my Witworth 375 H&H Magnum with a 1.5x5 Leupold Vari X3. Works for everyone else it would work for me, besides the pollster "factored" out my 3.25" 50 and that pissed me off :roll: . bobw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

bobw that was pretty rude of him ... the 50 -3&1/4 is the origional bp express for over there .
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T