Kowa Scopes? With and Without Fluorite Lenses.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Kowa Scopes? With and Without Fluorite Lenses.

Post by Jerry Williams »

I intend to buy a new scope and think I want the Kowa for long range. Just a couple of questions from the "been there-done that" group. If I get a TSN-821-m, do in need the Fluorite Lenses? (ouch they about double the price). Are they necessary, and if so why? What is the concenses? Do most shooters get the Fluorite Lenses? I would like to get this right the first time. Thanks for your experiences.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Omak Cowboy

lens

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Jerry, I suspect the flourite coating is to prevent lens flare. Many, in fact almost all the camera lens I am aware of are coated and it would be my guess it's with flourite.
I'd suggest calling a good pro camera shop to get their input on this.

Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
ole pizen slinger

florite lens

Post by ole pizen slinger »

The Kowa is a good scope. If you intend to use it as a hunting scope and are planning to hunt early in the morning or late in the evening by all means buy the florite coated lens. If you plan to use it for spotting at the target range buy the cheaper version. The florite lens transmitts more light hence it is valuable in low light situations. I have the florite model and have looked through both versions. In high light conditions you will not notice the difference between the two.

Sincerely,
Ole Pizen Slinger
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Scarlet Knight

Post by Scarlet Knight »

The purpose of fluorite coating is to reduce chromatic aberration. Lenses bend different wavelengths of light by different amounts, so that light at the blue end of the spectrum focuses closer to the lens than light at the red end of the spectrum.

This is seen as a fringe of color around the images in the field of view. The flourite coating has the effect of correcting this, so that all of the different colors focus closer to each other, and reduce or eliminate the visible fringe.

Chromatic aberration can be a problem if you're taking photographs, and you'll definitely want coated optics if you plan to snap pictures through your scope, but I doubt you'll be affected by it if you're just using the scope for spotting.
If all gun owners voted like gun owners, we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our guns.
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Gentlemen, I appreciate all the chin music about lense coatings. What I want to hear(from shooters who use Kowa scopes in competition) is which one to buy coated or non-coated? The price differance in substantial and I would rather buy gun powder and guns. Which Kowa Scope do the comptetive shooters (silouttee and long range) use?
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
RCE1

I would say that 90% use....

Post by RCE1 »

the Kowa scopes without Fluorite coatings. Like some have mentioned before, the exotic coatings are mostly desirable for those interested in using the scopes photographically. If all you want is a rig suitable for silhouette spotting, get the Kowa 821 and the 27x LER eyepiece. That's all you really need to know. I much prefer the angled eyepiece over the straight eyepiece.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Jerry, I have an older TSN-1 Kowa and am pleased with it but feel that the newer Kowa with its larger objective lens will do just fine for 95% of your shooting with out the flourite coating. The angled eyepiece is much handier and is a necessity if you are shooting prone and want to look at the mirage/wind conditions down range. The coated lens might be of more benefit to you if your eyesight requires more and more correction. Your optomitrist would be able to give you better information on how sensitive your eyes are to light and reccommend what you should buy. I now use Astronomical Binoculars for spotting as I feel that two eyes are better than one and that depth of field is improved. What ever you buy get a quality tri-pod, quality optics require a quality stand/tri-pod. Rbump
techguns

flourite scope

Post by techguns »

jerry I collect optics, mostly binoculars & bino telescopes. the term flourite refers to the material that the lens is made from,flourite crystal not the lens coating, hence the increase in price. hope this helps. 8)
n.r.a. life member ,guns gave us freedom from oppression ,never give them up.
GUY FILLINGER

Post by GUY FILLINGER »

YOU WANTED TO HERE FROM PEOPLE WHO USE THEM IN COMPETITION. WELL I DO. I ATTEND THE NATIONAL MATCHES EVERY YEAR AT CAMP PERRY FOR HIGH POWER AND I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT THAT HIGH POWER SHOOTERS ARE CHEAP!!! BUT WHEN IT COMES TO OPTICS A VAST MAJORITY OF THE SHOOTERS ARE USING THE KOWA'S WITH THE REGULAR LENSES. AS WHAT SOMEONE ELSE SAID YOU WILL NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERANCE SHOOTING PAPER. THE KOWA SCOPES ARE SOME OF THE FINEST SCOPES IN THE WORLD. I HAVE ONE BECAUSE I TRY TO BUY THE VERY BEST THATS OUT THERE. WITH IN REASON!!! THATS ALSO WHY I HAVE A SHILOH.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT AND GOOD LUCK.
GUY fILLINGER
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Just a little note to add here, you probably already know this but the very best scope in the world isn't worth 2 cents if it sits on top of a cheap tri-pod!! Personally I think the tripod is just as important as the scope!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

As Guy Pointed out Highpower shooters are a cheap bunch but no one skimps on their scopes. By far and large the majority are using kowias. I bought mine from Ott Webber back in 1989 or 90? and it still dopes the mirage better then many other scopes on the market.

The coating is nice for the afore mentioned reasons but? anit really needed for this game, and thus no reason to spend the money.

I have a lold TSN-1 the model with the 45 deg angled eyepiece, great for a prone shooter to dope his own wind. With the eyepeice at that angle and the body turned a bit to the right I can look over my left and down into my scope to spot and Dope Conditions while laying down prone. Worked very well at Missoula when I was squaded with a new shooter.

My stand is a special built one and it weighs about 30-35 lbs. It was made by Harold Forcum. And its Wyoming Wind proof!!!!!! They run about $100 and are well worth it, Harold brings 3-5 of them each year to Raton and never takes one home. Cheap compared to ruining a $500-600 scope.

My opinion.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Kenny,

Do you know how I can reach Harold Forcum ??

thanks,

Hal
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Kenny,

Ditto Canoe. I had a different brand of scope thrown to the ground by a gust of Minnesota wind and was in anguish until I saw that I could still see through it. I was spotting markers while we were shooting at 800 yards. Walked over to shout something at the shooter, was nearly knocked over by the gust, and watched helplessly as my nice and nearly new Leica was slammed to the ground. We may not have the consistent wind that you "enjoy" in the west, but there are times when the Contraries figure that since we're to far above sea level to flood they will visit us with other vexations. :lol: Bruce
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hal and Bruce,

Harold Forcum

PO Box 107
Kingman, Kansas 67068-0107

Tel 316-532-3131

Tell him Kenny Sent you and you want one of his scope stands. Harold used to make afew sights and Still does make Excellent boxes for Shooters. We give one away each year at my match.

Kenny Wasserburger

PS

Hal Got your Email,

If your wanting to shoot prone competions the LR Express is the way to go if its buffalo matches only then the ebony PG would be fine. Your choice!

Been busy,
Cold Weather and O2 troubles at work Putting in some long HRs.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Thanks Kenny.

Hal