Cleaning Rod

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

About cleaning rods. Have , Dewey's, Sinclar's, Tipton's and a couple of others that I don't remember the maker of. But for cleaning my breech loading singles shot. The best I have found is the orginal 50 caliber BMG cleaning rod, get two so you can make it as long as you want, or need. Put a piece thin plastic tubing over the rod at the end to protect the barrel from the rod dropping, then the jag & patch exit the end. Make a chamber protector from a case that you have ruined, we all have plenty of those. You can still find them at Gun Shows for $5.00 to $15.00. No, I don't have one of Mr. Phariss's rods. But why pay $75.00 for something that a cheaper rod will do just as good of a job. Plus, it is such of a pian in the butt to carry around. Just my $0.02 worth on cleaning rod's.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks Slim
Their is a gun show in Fayetville NC this weekend and their is alot of military stuff their I gues because of the base in town. I will look and see if they have any 50 cal rods their. Their was a GI that walked in the door 2yrs ago that had a original sharps that was in a leather case that was so old that it had took on the shape of the gun. we were out run to the gun and he sold it for 500.00 $$$$$ and yes it does get better, he bought a 9mm pistola with the money. Go figure.!!!!!
Jim Robinson
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Jim, I was station at Ft. Bragg, for total of 13 year of the 23 that I serviced. The gun show is a good one. I got my first Sharps (Shiloh) at Jim's Pawn Shop on Yackin Road. Paid $375.00 for it, but that was in 1977. The problem is you can't just have one. Have 7 Shilohs now and looking for number 8. Know about those people walking through the door at gun shows, just wish I had been the first one to him. The 50 caliber BMG rod should have 4 sections with it, with one section having a Aluminiun T-handle on it. Two standard sections and one section that has a slot approx. 4 inches from the end and be threaded 8X32. The rod is about 5/16" in diameter. Make sure you buy two, so you can put the section togather to what every lenght you need. Don't want to hit, the tang sight while cleaning you Sharps. Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired