Let me introduce....

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

vgostomski

Let me introduce....

Post by vgostomski »

....myself first, then my new rifle......

Hello, my name is Victor Gostomski. I have been watching this board for 3 years now, and would like to say thank you to its members. As a whole, I don't believe there is a more helpful group of shooters. I have done mucho searchs on not only the Shiloh product, but how to reload for the BPCR in general. I have reloaded modern cartridges for 25+ years, and loaded my first BPRC rounds last night. I'm looking forward to seeing how my first recipe works......

Now, my rifle.... I wanted a rifle that would become a family heirloom with a little more meaning than the other guns I have. Shiloh, along with Suzi and Luxus walnut more than accomplished my goal. It is a real work of art that will serve me well in my furure hunts. And, I truly cannot wait for this falls buffalo hunt.

Some of the specs:
1874 #1 Sporter
45 2.4"
shot gun buttstock, turkish walnut
modified engraving, intial in platinum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seth Hawkins

Re: Let me introduce....

Post by Seth Hawkins »

Welcome! That is one beautiful rifle you've got there, pard!

Why did you wait 3 years to introduce yourself? As far as I know, the only price of admission to this club is a love of these rifles. Now that you're here I hope you'll pull up a chair and stay awhile. We've got cookies in the BP forum. :wink:
Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Semper Fi
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

Nice :!: That rifle certainly will be a family heirloom. Congratulations on commisioning it.
Ken
"When small men begin to cast long shadows the sun is setting" (unknown)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Very nice.

If you have a few more pictures, don't hesitate to post them. It would be nice to see some full side photos in particular.

Have a great time with it.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
vgostomski

Post by vgostomski »

Thank you for the replys... Heres a few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

DUDE...that's just plumb damn purty!! Let us know how it do! :D :wink:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Can see that if Turkish Walnut was a regular option the wait might go back to 4 years again! Very nice. bobw
bobw
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Welcome to the sic'ness............I see you now know there's NO CURE :lol: :lol:
Your rifle is a true work of art :!: WELL DONE :!: :!:
May I ask where you are located? Maybe you could team up with some of us for a shoot.
How long was the wait for you on that rifle?
Cheers,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Woody

Post by Woody »

That is one tastefully executed piece of art.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
vgostomski

Post by vgostomski »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Welcome to the sic'ness............I see you now know there's NO CURE :lol: :lol:
Your rifle is a true work of art :!: WELL DONE :!: :!:
May I ask where you are located? Maybe you could team up with some of us for a shoot.
How long was the wait for you on that rifle?
Cheers,
Gary

You are right,, hooked I am. I'm down in the Houston area. A couple miles from you I'm sure. I waited 2 years, 10 months.... The extras I had done to the gun stretched it out a bit.

Thanks for all the comments from you guys. I be posting the the detail in a bit.
vgostomski

Post by vgostomski »

Well, got to the range for the first time today. I started with 15 rounds, most of the cast bullets were discards for one reason or another. Over all I was extreamly happy with the results. The funny thing was I had a better results at 200 yards than did at 100 (only had a few rounds though). I'll be back out there tomorrow. here are the details:

34" heavy barrel
550 brooks Creedmoor w/ 5 grease grooves
30/1 lead
70 grains (by weight) 1.5 swiss
WLR primer
.030 VFW
.120" powder compression (WAG on this, did it a couple nights ago)
Bullet seated to hunting depth, roll crimp at top of upper grease groove)
SPG lube

Pretty good results from the load. Used a Oehler Chrono:

16 FPS deviation
ave - 1270 fps

I'll be playing with primers to get the deviation better. Still not to bad for a first trip.......The info borrowed from you guys has payed off, probily saved me several years of frustration.

Victor
squire

Post by squire »

Absolutely, beautiful gun.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

What are you doing to control fouling?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
vgostomski

Post by vgostomski »

Lumpy Grits wrote:What are you doing to control fouling?
Gary
Today, I wiped between shots. 1 wet, 2 dry.... Only water,,,,, could not find windex with vinegar, yet..... I am hoping leading will not become a problem. I went with the 5 groove bullet to help counter the 34" barrel. Research says 30/1 would also lend to leading,, we'll see I guess. I did have a slight lube star on the barrel crown. The patches did have slivers of lead, but I'd consider that normal. This is where I would like the input from all you guys. I know everyone has their own way, but I'm always open to suggestions. If I'm screwing up, tell me. Thanks

Victor
Brent

Post by Brent »

If you are screwing up, it is going to the range with just 15 rounds. This is a pretty serious problem - :)

Nice rifle there.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"