How sweet it is!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

How sweet it is!

Post by mdeland »

I'm reminded of the old Jackie Gleason quip when I think on my journey with the Yazel flint target pistol I purchased over a year and a half ago. I knew I would have to make or buy grips for it so expected some labor before I shot it the first time.
Well I have had the "blessing" of two lemons although they both work like I had hoped they would from the beginning, now.
The blessing was I couldn't get them to work like they should and was forced to learn how to work on them.
I have a friend with both of these guns (percussion and flint) and they both worked perfectly from the get go and never gave him a minute of trouble that I ever heard of.
Any way after practically a complete overhaul of the lock and trigger assembly I took it out and shot it on Saturday and had the time of my life. These "rock locks" as some folks are want to call them are just plain cool to shoot and fun to mess with.
Boy what a job trying to hold steady, the front post on the six of the bull,through all the shenanigans going on off to the side of the pistol. Clatch............. Poooof............... and finally........... Bang! Seems like I could make this post in less time. :lol:
Any way it was addicting and even shooting in the cold, I stayed after dark and shot by the range lights until my poor ole frozen fingers just wouldn't take it any more.
I like these guns and still can remember Mike Kelley trying to get me to try them out. I kept saying I wasn't interested and by the way they are the homeliest guns I ever saw! Funny how homely things kind of sneak up on a fella and become treasured and loved when they behave and shoot like the thoroughbreds they were designed to be. :lol: Mike
Image They are both .36 cal.
boge

Re: How sweet it is!

Post by boge »

MD, that looks like a flintlock raped a Browning Buckmark, hence this repugnant spawn. Damn, is that UGLY!! :shock:

What's the point since there is no historical precedent? :? Sort of like putting mag wheels on a Conestoga wagon. I guess I don't get it.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Jody Reb

Post by Jody Reb »

Boge,

At the NMLRA National Matches you will see these type of pistols on the line a lot. They are considered to be very good at putting one in the winners circle. Not traditional, but legal in certain matches. I have wanted to get one for years but they are hard to find and I’m not sure they are being made any more.

Mike where did you get yours?

Dale
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Harold Yazel , but I'm not sure he is still making them. I think he is near 90 years old now. Yeah they are homely but if you can hold for an X they will generally give you one unless something is seriously wrong with the ball or load.
The gun was made to win matches, not to gaze up on and it feels like it grew in your hand and is part of your anatomy . Mike
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Bogy, they're sort of like the girl you actually fall in love with , take home and marry and build a life with instead of the beauty queen with an IQ and disposition of a rattle snake. :lol:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

No Aimpoint? :lol:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I have a .40 Yazel percussion, and I love it. AND I don't care if nobody else likes it or not. It is a barrel of fun to shoot, and as accurate as my 1911, or more so.

Best, DB

PS Harold Yazel 574-353-7537 and yes he is on up there in years
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I don't know Woody, I think all that fire and smoke that happens off to the side and over the top would fry an Aimpoint in Jig time. Man, the thought of that picture in my imagination gives me the "eeebby jeeeeby's"! Old Alaskan term. :lol:
Right on Barvid, they probably are more accurate than most 1911's and "pretty is as pretty does",what ever that means! :lol: :lol: :lol: Mike