45-90 brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Outrider

45-90 brass

Post by Outrider »

Is the .45-90 Sharps (2.4 in.) the same case as the .45-90 WCF? In the Midway catalog Starline lists their brass as .45-90 WCF. Also, where is a place to get a good deal on .45-90 brass? Does everyone out there like Starline the best? I'm reading that Starline needs annealing first but nothing is said about other brands. What little that I have in .45-70 seems to be fairly uniform in weight but heavier than Winchester or Remington. :?:
rdnck

45-90 Brass

Post by rdnck »

M. Stansloski--I have had really good luck with the stretched Remington brass from Buffalo Arms in my 45-90's. The only downside to this brass is that it has a 45-70 headstamp on it. To me, that is not a problem, as it comes ready to go, no annealing or trimming necessary. Just load and shoot. I have somewhere around 500 of these cases, so I know they give good service.

Starline cases are too hard, and will have to be annealed to give good results. They also do not hold as much powder as the Buffalo Arms brass. They are slightly thicker than the Remington brass, and may cause chambering problems in a Shiloh, especially if you are trying to use a bullet larger than .458. They do have the 45-90 headstamp, however. This helps if you're into the vanity thing.

My take is that you can use the Buffalo Arms brass and shoot without problems, or you can use the Starline and look cool and likely have problems and suffer. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Outrider

.45-90 bress

Post by Outrider »

rdnck,
Where is Woodlawn? I was stationed @ Bergstrom A.F.B. in Austin in the 70's and then served on the Austin P.D. after that. Lots of friendly people down there but for a boy raised in the North it got way too hot for me.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I've been using the Buffalo Arms stretched brass for about 5 years with no problems.

If you want to spend the $ for the best brass call Dave at Rocky Mountain Cartridge in Cody Wy
www.rockymountaincartridge.com
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

I shoot stretched Remington B.A. brass exclusively. For anyone to say it doesn't need trimming and annealing are wrong. The last batch I bought I had to trim, they weren't all the same length or the mouths square. Just because a certain brass is softer also doesn't mean it shouldn't be annealed. What annealing will do is make the bullet release consistant from shot to shot. What we target shooter or shooers are looking for is that consistant factor that is lacking sometimes. Buying brass is subjective, I know shooters who swear by Starline and others, like me who will only use Winchester and Remington stretched brass.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

The best deal on Starline Brass if that is the way you decide to go is to buy it direct from Starline. You will save about $100 bucks per 500 buying direct. :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have 100 of the Starline 45-90 brass. I have not had any problems so far. My loads seem to shoot good for me with them. I have only loaded them 2 or 3 times so far. I may try some of the stretched brass sometime. It kinda bothers me that it has the wrong head stamp. Buffalo arms have the best selection of brass I have seen.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: The Starline 45-90 brass (250rnds)that I bought was so consistant in weight plus/minus less than 1gr that I quit weighing the cases. If you are interested in case capacity Rem will hold slightly more than Starline and Winchester will hold the most BP. Rbump
Bob Dyer

Post by Bob Dyer »

Hi Guys -- I'm new to the site but have been shooting Shilohs for some time. Has anyone used 45-90 Bell brass and if so how is it. Buffalo Arms has a sale on it which looks pretty good.
TYRVR

CDNN 45-90

Post by TYRVR »

I'm not sure whose brass they are using but....CDNN is selling LOADED 45-90 ammo for just under $20.00 per 20 round box, might be worth checking out,

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Ron B

45-90 Brass

Post by Ron B »

When I bought my 45-90 several years ago brass was hard to locate, I was able to scare up 4 boxes of huntington brass that i used a lot and it performed real well, but i didnt have near enough for a match I then ordered 5 boxes of Red Willow turned brass This brass is what I would call an everlasting case like Ideal used to sell. I weighed the cases on a scale and was very supprised as to the consistant weight of the case in both the overall weight and of the internal water capacity extremely close!!!!
But i could not get the same load in this brass as in the huntington brass as Red Willoy is much thicker, I t did perform well though.
I next located 5 boxes of Bertram brass and are still playing with it so i cant really say much about it yet.
I have seen the Starline brass for sale and I believe that for the cost that i am going to give it a try as the price factor is very appealing.
As far as anealing goes I aneal my brass by dipping the necks in a lead pot then drop in water no problems co far.
Born a hundred and 10 years too late !
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I used my Starline .45/90 brass for the first time today in my brand new Shiloh. The brass shoots just fine. I am glad I purchased a case of 1000. That should last me a very long time.
Lee Stone
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Back to Outrider's original question, is the Sharps .45-90 case the same as the Winchester .45-95 case? If anyone knows would sure appreciate your sharing. Thank you.
Shoot Straight
N2

Post by N2 »

Bearbait2/Outrider - The Sharps 45-2.4" case predates the Winchester 45-90 by a number of years. The 45-90 was an "express" cartridge for the 1885 Winchester shooting a light for caliber bullet with it's attendant slow twist whereas the 45-2.4" was loaded with 550 grain bullets and a relativly fast twist. For our purposes today the cases are one in the same. - Nick
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

Heres my 02 regarding starline brass, currently using in 45-70 for a #1 with Lyman ...132 and Saeco 745. To quote Rdnck:

"They are slightly thicker than the Remington brass, and may cause chambering problems in a Shiloh, especially if you are trying to use a bullet larger than .458. They do have the 45-90 headstamp, however. This helps if you're into the vanity thing."

The Lyman bullets work fine as far as accuracy and chamber fit. However, the starline-Saeco 745 combo has been giving me chamber fit problems. Have to set the compression to fit the 745 in between the last greese groove, then run thru a sizing die. And this still gives me a very tight chamber fit. Same bullet in a WW has no problems. Am not ready to go out and buy a sizer just yet, but will probably invest in some additional brass with a thinner wall thickness.

BTW, not sure if its ME or the two bullet types, but when the 745's fit, they are very accurate.

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!