Back to 40/70sbn???

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rob A.

Back to 40/70sbn???

Post by Rob A. »

Hello to all the people on the forum:
I have made my decision to try and make this rifle shoot Kirk ,before I do the rebarrel job. I had purchased the forming and trim dies when I purchased the rifle, so I guess I will try to make it shoot for a year or so before I give up. So anybody who has any pointers or has worked with this caliber please help me out with any suggestions on molds or whatever has worked for you. I should have let Kirk know in my original forum that I had already purchased the dies with the rifle.I have read this forum since before my rifle arrive and I feel sombody may have some pointers. Anyways I have my 45X2/8" to shoot anyways, so that will be fun to work on and from all the people shooting this caliber I know this one is a keeper.If any body has mold for sale that you think might be worth a try let me know.

Thanks[/b]
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Rob, I think you need to clear up your post a little bit so we can understand what you are talking about. Are you wanting information on loading the .40-70 Sharps Bottle Neck? What exactly is a .45-2/8s"? Did you mean a .45-110 (2 7/8")? Will try to help with a little better information. :) Randy
Randy Ruwe
Rob A.

Reply to Randy/ omaha poke

Post by Rob A. »

Very sorry to any confusion i might have caused. Yes the rifle i am looking for information is a 40/780 sharps bottle neck. The other rifle I was talking was a 45- 110 or 45by 2 7/8". sorry for my neglagence.
Rob A.

Randy Omaha poke

Post by Rob A. »

For the final time 40/70 sharps bottle neck not 40/780.I need more work with a computer and to proof read my wording thanks.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

and please don't make your rifle shoot Kirk.at least till he gets done with my rifle
sorry couldnt resist the pun.
seems like all I have read is that you have to really work on any bottleneck cases to get them to work and why mess with the frustration
the rebarrel option isnt bad and the powder and lead you save would make a good down payment on a new barrel and you get to play with another calibre.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Josh A.

40-70sbn

Post by Josh A. »

Dear Rob:
I'd nearly bet your rifle will shot well. In my experience, if a barrel does not have a real problem, a rifle can be made to shoot.

The first thing I would do is slug the barrel and cerrosafe the chamber and find out exactly what you have got. Then call Paul Jones and have him cut a mould for your rifle. A bullet that fits a rifle well goes a long way toward solving lots of problems.

I have a Shiloh 40-70ss that I bought used that had a little bit of frosting for about a foot ahead of the chamber. Just rough enough to make a mess. I asked Kirk about lapping the bore and he said it couldn't hurt. I lapped it and have continuallly worked to clean the barrel up, now it shoots great.

The key was finally getting it smoothed out, then getting Jones to cut a mould that fits the chamber/barrel combination well.

Take care,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Rob A.,
What are the loads that you have tried in your 40-70 SBN? Bullet, powder type, compression if any, etc...
Keep on hav'n Fun!
MikeT