Who is winning matches with PP Bullets?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Rhoades

Re: Who is winning matches with PP Bullets?

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Distant Thunder,
I don't know about you but there was a time it was a lot of fun to get naked and smear grease all over! :D
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Steve,

You know, when I pointed that out about the greaser I just knew there would be someone out there that would tell me more than I really wanted know about smearing their naked bodies with grease! There are just some things that a man is better off not knowing about his fellow shooters! :lol: But do whatever makes you happy.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Oh lordylordy, Rhoades has just single handedly inflated phscyco therapists bank accounts, again...
:mrgreen:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bryany

Post by bryany »

[quote="Steve Rhoades"]Distant Thunder,
I don't know about you but there was a time it was a lot of fun to get naked and smear grease all over! :D[/quote]

...and have people chase you at the county fair.
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Oh, now that's a much better image! That I can handle, thank you.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

OK, let's knock it off guys!!
It's time to get back to the serious business of trying to convince everyone how competent you are at shooting paper patch bullets. :wink:
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Tombstone71

Post by Tombstone71 »

Well thanks alot, I shoot with with Rhoades down here once in a while and just thought his lubersizer was wore out. didnt know he was putting it on by hand( everywhere :?: :shock: )

Tim
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well Tim :lol: wrap him in brown paper and see if It comes off in shreds or hunks
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Maybe:

A better yardstick would be, the few PP shooters how do they fare at Raton, Lodi, Phoenix, And the best Creedmoor Match in the The Nation the America's Cup, in the Overall Standings vrs the Larger number of GG shooters.

another Question?
just what is A Traditional PP bullet, Perry notes major Changes in Bullet nose Shapes and alloys used. Sharps offered Hyde base-method Bullets. Yet purists today load using Hepburn's twisted tail a Remington method. :? :lol:

finally,

some math on shooting The mile my 525 gr Nasa bullet with the exact same powder charge wad stack and compression requires a sight setting of 3.81 to 3.84. Yet use my 538 gr Money PP instead, my sight settings runs from 3.40 to 3.36! that is 40 MOA btw lower! And got this shooter 8/10 in the last relay I shot at a mile last year. No grease groove bullet as yet has come close except the micro-mini Money.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Orville

Post by Orville »

Don
Perry, Gildersleeve and Halford are mentioned and quoted but nobody talks about they guns and especially the chambers of the guns. Those chambers were a whole different the what is being used today, so applying what they used is no garentee that it is going to work in today's chambers.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Orville is correct there, they did use much tighter chambers for Paper Patch, and much more gentle leade.

My old rifle has a .480 chamber my new 25 lb rifle has a .482 and shoots no where as well as the old rifle.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Great discussion Fellas,
I am not going to ramble on by replying to most of the posts here, I simply don't have time and to dam tired and too many cold ones in me by then.
Steve, I agree, I would like to hear from those that have had great match results with the PP. I'm trying to learn as much as I can by listening to those that have the experience with shooting both types of bullets. I would like to get emails from shooters with designs, specs and any data. I never have time to test loads, Tiff and I only shoot matches, so I am relying on all of you for good info.
You can email me at harlan@sageoutfitters.com

Thanks a bunch guys!
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

with regards making bullets for specific paper, the old 9 lb onionskin is becoming harder to get.
seth cole 55w and 55y are close in thickness to each other, and can offer choices for slight barrel variations.
they are thinner than 9 lb, and as such are superior to the 9 lb offering for target shooting.
my 45 cal badger barrel likes a 0.445 bullet with these papers, and my 40 cal smith likes a 0.394 bullet likewise.
those with hunting knowledge might suggest different paper, and probably a smaller wrapped diameter than suits creedmoor shooting.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Orville nobody talks much about the target guns used by those guys because there were so few of them produced. Yes the chambers on the target guns were much tighter than those that were chambered for sporting use, particularly those that were chambered for the 45-70. And yes a person can dance thru hoops getting patched to shoot in a saami spec modern chamber but it can be done. Still nobody is trying to reinvent the wheel, but there are those that are trying to catch up with 1880's technology, and doing it in pretty fair fashion.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

I've read this post with great interest. Up front I will say I have had very little experience with pp bullets and have shot gg exclusively. I started shooting silly wet last year at Missoula and have had a great time and have met some great folks. I have not noticed any pp shooters there but may have missed it also. It seems everyone has the load that works in their rifle. I would like to believe that their loads will group well into the MOA needed to make hits 100 % of the time. BUT alas there is a breakdown in the system and it seems to be operator error. There have not been many 40 out of 40 scores. I'm sure the load will do it but there ya have that old problem .... the human factor.
What I'm getting at here is it doesn't matter which style you prefer or how you dress it in grease or diapers. The big deal is work on your shooting skills and trying to be consistent with your shooting form and learn how to read the wind and practice practice practice. I think if you look at all the guys in the winners circle you will find guys with a lot of trigger time. That alone will make any decent bullet and load look good. You can't game your way into the winners circle without a lot of hard work and time behind the trigger.
But this is just my opinion and what do I know :)
Dan