Choosing new hunting rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

boreal

Choosing new hunting rifle

Post by boreal »

I'm looking for a new BPC hunting rifle. I already have a "heavy target" Pedersoli Sharps replica in 45-120. I want a 45-70 (probably) in a lighter rifle that I can hunt with. I like a fairly long barrel, but under 10 pounds would be nice. I've got 50 year-old eyes that can't use a rear buckhorn sight, so I'm into peeps now. I often hunt thick brush and find the folding tang sights a pain. I like reciever or strong tang sights. The front target (globe?) sights are hard for me to use for hunting, so I guess a blade or bead would be preferred.
I like the looks of the Shilo Business Rifle, but I would rather have a single trigger because the set trigger will undoubtedly spook that trophy at the worst time (it has happened to me before).
Also, would the business rifle or some other appropriate rifle be available right now? Or would I be waiting for its production. I ordered a 50-110 two years ago from an unnamed source that I am still waiting for. I ordered an H&R buffalo classic last spring just so I could hunt with a big bore BPC while I waited for the 50-110. I've been "on the list" ever since. I just cancelled the bc order the other day/just could not wait any more.
I sure "need" another rifle! Soon!

Any ideas? Do you folks make that perfect hunting rifle for me? Something like the business rifle with single trigger?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Boreal,
I have just such a rifle on order now, did it last June and it is on the shop floor now. I think the business rifle in my opinon is about as good as it would get for a hunting rifle, you can get it with a single Trigger also.

Mine has double sets, I guess, I never have been that close to game for them to ever hear mine in my Muzzle stuffers that I used to hunt with as a kid. Then again it's Wyoming and the wind blows all the time.

:lol:

I have mine ordered in 45-110 it will run a touch over 11 lbs with its barrel. A rifle as this in 45-70 would be my next choice with out a doubt.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Wainer

New Rifle

Post by Wainer »

Boreal, I hunt with a Shiloh #3 Sporter in 45-70 with a 30" standard barrel. I got it just for hunting since weighs only 9.5 pounds. I like it since its easy to carry all day.

If you need a rifle in a hurry, Shiloh has a rack of rifles already made in their store. My buddy picked one up recently. Just what he was looking for without having to wait. You could give Shiloh a call and see what they have. Don
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
boreal

Post by boreal »

Thanks for the replies, gents. I called Shilo, and although they don't have exactly what I want in the rack (already made), after some more thought on my part and help from Shilo, I should be able to come up with the "perfect" hunter. Of course, there will be a wait for production. In the meantime, I went outside my local dealer and found a new buffalo classic that I should be shooting by the weekend.
Jeez, I'm all tingly and excited now! :D