snap caps

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mike Hansen

snap caps

Post by Mike Hansen »

I did a search on this without results, so I'll ask the question.

I've heard folks here say dry firing can damage or break the firing pin. Can using snap caps prevent this damage? If so, are some brands better than others?

Thanks,

Mike
from Shiloh:
1874 "Military Carbine" (7 1/2 lb, 22" bbl) in .45-70
1874 "Sporter #1" (25 lb, 34" bbl) in .45-70, rechambered to .45-110
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

I'm a firm believer in the value of dry-fire practice. Snap caps may or may not be absolutly necessary with a bolt action rifle but I use them anyway.

Personally, I'd NEVER dry-fire a Sharps without a snap cap. The problem is to find the right one. I have Italian made snap caps for my .270 and .338 WM. These have a plastic body with a brass head and a spring-loaded brass "primer."

The only snap caps I've found for Sharps (.45-70) are made of aluminum with some sort of soft plastic as a "primer." They were sold as a package of two. One of the plastic primers stuck out too far. The breech of the Sharps tried to shear it off (kind of like the old percussion system with the paper cartridges.) The other primer was recessed about 1/16", so I doubt that the firing pin would even touch it. The bottom line is that I've never dared to dry fire the Sharps using either of these snap caps. Instead, I cut out a thick - but soft - piece of elk hide which I put on the face (meaning the part struck by the hammer) of the firing pin.

It's a good idea for first-time Sharps owners to practice loading, firing and unloading with snap caps. Operating one of these rifles is certainly not rocket science but it is different for those not used to handling such arms.
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Never tried it with these but I have made3 my own by taking a decapped round a filling the primer pocket with silicone(RTV) and then making it even wth the CASE HEAD.

Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Rich

I've done the same thing with a eraser off a pencil
kevin harris

dry fireing

Post by kevin harris »

With rifles that have double set triggers; with the hammer in the full down, possition you can set and fire with out dammage to sear linkage or firing pin dammage. [b]DO NOT LEAVE THE HAMMER IN THE HALF-COCK OR FULL-COCK POSITION FOR DAMMAGE MAY OCCURE[/b]
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.