Loading 45-110 with Triple 7 ?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Major Art Tillery

Loading 45-110 with Triple 7 ?

Post by Major Art Tillery »

Looking for info on loading the 45-110 with FFG Triple 7. I want to eventually go with true BP, like Goex... but this is what I have at the moment, so till it is gone I am going to use it up. Any special tricks to loading it for the 45-110? My bullets will be .458 535 Grn Lyman Postells, I also have some .060 Veggie wad. With this powder it only needs slight compression like 1/8 correct? Does the veggie wad help with the sub powders? thanks for any info fellas.

Major
ironramrod

Re: Loading 45-110 with Triple 7 ?

Post by ironramrod »

What does Hodgins list on their website for 2Fg loads of Triple Seven?

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
MLV

Post by MLV »

Don't compress 777 and be very careful with it. It can be touchy.
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Major Art Tillery

ironramrod wrote:What does Hodgins list on their website for 2Fg loads of Triple Seven?

Regards

DOES NOT LIST ANY FOR THE 110
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Major Art Tillery wrote:
ironramrod wrote:What does Hodgins list on their website for 2Fg loads of Triple Seven?

Regards

The last two sentences in this paragraph from Hogdons web site should provide good answers to your question. :wink:
Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property.Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. . Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads. *See WARNINGS below.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Major Art Tillery

Don McDowell wrote:
Major Art Tillery wrote:

Regards

The last two sentences in this paragraph from Hogdons web site should provide good answers to your question. :wink:
Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property.Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. . Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads. *See WARNINGS below.
I see what you mean Don, sounds like I best call them, or just look for a different powder.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Black powder works pretty good..... :D :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I would suggest contacting Powder Inc., Bear River Powder, Grafs, or Buffalo Arms and enquiring into the purchase of a case of Olde Eynsford 1.5 :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

MLV, is there a possibility that Major Art is blood related to your associate Mr. Stovall?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Major Art Tillery

Don McDowell wrote:I would suggest contacting Powder Inc., Bear River Powder, Grafs, or Buffalo Arms and enquiring into the purchase of a case of Olde Eynsford 1.5 :wink:
Yeah I know and I want to get to using BP like goex.... but was hoping to use this up. Just might not be the best thing to use though it sounds like. Down side of being in Kansas, can find all sorts of BP subs... but know true BP at local shops. I hate to buy a case of BP and found out I don't like it. I think I will try calling Hodgdon tomorrow and see if they have a load for the 110. Then if not I will take the leap and go the other direction. Thanks for your input.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

You don't need to buy a case of black powder. I'm sure most suppliers will ship less, even 1 lb, but you have the hazmat fee which would make it fairly expensive. I know Back Creek Gun shop will sell you less. Check around on the black powder. With a big case like the 110 black powder is what you need.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Powder Inc. sells black powder in 5, 10, 25 and 50# lots. Good company w/ which to do business. Olde Eynsford black powder is made by Goex. If you want to shoot Goex in your 110 (a good choice) get the 1Fg in Goex or the 1.5 Fg in Olde Eynsford in whatever size lot you want. http://www.powderinc.com

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Major Art Tillery

ironramrod wrote:Powder Inc. sells black powder in 5, 10, 25 and 50# lots. Good company w/ which to do business. Olde Eynsford black powder is made by Goex. If you want to shoot Goex in your 110 (a good choice) get the 1Fg in Goex or the 1.5 Fg in Olde Eynsford in whatever size lot you want. http://www.powderinc.com

Regards
Thanks for the info, I will check that out... :D
Major Art Tillery

Talked with Hodgdon today and sounds like as long as I am using 2F triple seven filled to base of bullet with no compression it will work for the 45-110. I can even use the .060 wads I have as long as I still don't compress the powder. Might give it a try till I can get some goex ordered in from Grafs... Unless of course I get it ordered before I get a chance to load up some rounds.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well if you have a full lb of it that is only 60-70 rds. What will you do the rest of the afternoon? bobw
bobw