Lubrisizer trouble

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Outrider

Lubrisizer trouble

Post by Outrider »

Gentlemen,
Saeco lubri-sizer, .459 die, SPG lube, Lyman #457125. I tighten the lube compression spring down like the directions say but the lube isn't flowing into the bullet grooves when I size the bullet. I'm doing this in my shop, temp. is about 60 deg. Do I need one of those Lyman lube-sizer heaters? I would like to stick with SPG. As it is now I'm having to rub the lube into the grooves with my fingers.
Outrider :cry:
Remember....We get the government that we deserve.
RD146

lubrisizer

Post by RD146 »

warm your lube up. you will have no more problems

Regards
From the land of the Yankton Sioux
R. Dupraz
Smokin

Uncooperative Lubrisizer

Post by Smokin »

Outrider,

While working in my basement here on the Frozen Tundra, I've had similar problems. Being cheap, I generally have the heat registers in the basement shut, and when I want to work down there I open them up. Of course this is much too late as it seems to take days to change things from cold to comfortable. Having no clue where the directions are for my Lubrisizer, or if I even ever read them, I add enough cranks to the tension lever to get the lube flowing, but generally this is not enough to lube with one stroke. My technique is to stroke down and up, then turn the bullet about a quarter turn and do it again. This generally will fill the grooves. If things are really figid, I have resorted to slightly heating things up with a hair dryer. Once the lube starts to flow, things seem to work OK. I think the added pressure from cranking down a couple of extra turns on the tension spring helps to partially liquify the lube. I liken this to how an ice skate works: the pressure of the blade on the ice liquifies it enough to allow the blade to slide. There is, of course, no science that supports my theory as glibly as I've stated it, but my degree didn't cost me anything, either. Good luck, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Sometimes I have the same problem when it's cool, I just take a small space heater and let the warm air blow on the Saeco for 20 minutes or so and it works fine. Be sure to warm up the bullets also or the lube won't stick.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

take it inside clamp it to the kitchen table and ask your wife to make lunch while you size the bullets
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Guys, I have that problem occasionally, but more often the opposite one down here in south Louisiana. I agree that 60 degrees is about as cool as most of these lubes will work through a lubesizer. I also use 2 trips through the sizer to get the grooves filled. In the summer, a little more spring pressure often gives a shot of lube under the bullet, creating a mess. This usually happens when you have just enough lube in the sizer to do the bullets for the a match and necessitates shutting down to clean up and add another stick of lube.

Rather than continue to use the kitchen table, I built a rolling reloading cart that goes into the kitchen for everything to stabilize at a comfortable temperature, either summer or winter. I load, then roll the cart out into the garage out of the way until the next time. It works for me! The cart is made of quarter-sawn white oak and was a computer desk in a former life.

Clarence
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Guys, I have that problem occasionally, but more often the opposite one down here in south Louisiana. I agree that 60 degrees is about as cool as most of these lubes will work through a lubesizer. I also use 2 trips through the sizer to get the grooves filled. In the summer, a little more spring pressure often gives a shot of lube under the bullet, creating a mess. This usually happens when you have just enough lube in the sizer to do the bullets for the a match and necessitates shutting down to clean up and add another stick of lube.

Rather than continue to use the kitchen table, I built a rolling reloading cart that goes into the kitchen for everything to stabilize at a comfortable temperature, either summer or winter. I load, then roll the cart out into the garage out of the way until the next time. It works for me! The cart is made of quarter-sawn white oak and was a computer desk in a former life.

Clarence
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Clarence
RMulhern

Lube problems

Post by RMulhern »

Hey Clarence

Hey my man! Got dis joke fer ya:

Down in Lus-e-ana,

Boudreaux live across de bayou from Clarence who he don like a-tall
not even a little bit. An dat go boff way too.

Dey all de time yell across de bayou to each other.
Boudreaux yell to Clarence, "If I had a way cross dis bayou,
I'd come over dere an beat a knot on yo' ugly head, twice! Yeah!"

Dis went on fo' years.
Finally de state done built a bridge acrost dat bayou right by boff
dere
houses.
Boudreaux's wife, Marie, say, "Now you chance, Boudreaux.
Why don you go over dere and beat up dat Clarence like you say?"

Boudreaux say, "OK," and he start across de bridge
but he sees a sign on de bridge an he stop to read it and den he go
rat
back home.

Marie say, "Why you back so soon?" And Boudreaux say,
"Marie, I dun change my mind 'bout beatin' up dat Clarence.
You know, Marie, dey got a sign on dat dere bridge what say,
"Clarence 13 ft. 6 in."
You know, he don look near dat big when I yell at him across de
bayou." :lol: :oops: :lol:
kevin harris

joke

Post by kevin harris »

Hey Sharpsman,

Take no fence, I got Two fends fom down dare and I had no problem readn yo joke. :D :D :D
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

My sign says, "Clarence 15' 6"!

Clarence
MLV

Post by MLV »

Hang a light bulk next to the lube/sizer for a few minutes. That will warm things up just fine.
MLV

Post by MLV »

should be "bulb".