LONG TARGET SCOPES

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JIM S.

LONG TARGET SCOPES

Post by JIM S. »

Hello to all Shiloh Sharps shooters out there!
I am Jim and am new to this site but have owned a 45-120 long range express 34 inch barrel since 1982, thats when I believe they made the gun barrels in Farmingdale NewYork and the stockwork in Montana.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any Knowledge of long target scopes. I am wanting to purchase one and have found 2. One on Montana Vintage Arms thats close to a $grand$ and one on Buffalo Arms that woud cost me close to $700.00. Is the one on Buffalo arms have the same quality as MVA or are you paying more for the name? Is there other longscopes out there that i could check out? I thought the original longscopes back in the 1800's wre brass? I would like to try to get as Authentic as i can with this, if it is possibe. I really would Appreciate any information. Thankyou Very Much! James R. Smith Beulah, Missouri
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Jim, They are both good scopes. M.V.A has more features than the RHO for target shooting, that's the cost difference. I can't very well tell you that one is better than the other but M.V.A is what I use. We mount both but seems like it takes a very long time for guys to get the RHO. Thanks Kirk
Rob A.

Rho Scopes are slow in coming.

Post by Rob A. »

I ordered a RHO for my 45/110 in July of last year and as yet have not recieved it. I just looked up the letter I recieved confirming they got my money which was post marked July 7/03. At that time they had stroked out in pen where it said 6weeks delivery and put in 20 weeks and now it is quite a bit more than 20 weeks.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

As far as authenticity goes, no doubt some of the early scopes were brass. But according to Ned Roberts, the major name brand scopes like Malcom used on breechloaders and late era muzzleloaders were steel. I think the long brass scope is mostly a movie artifact.