gain twist barrel torque

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

gain twist barrel torque

Post by mdeland »

Question, does a gain twist barrel torque into or away from the direction of twist?
jackrabbit

Re: gain twist barrel torque

Post by jackrabbit »

Why would it torque any different than a normal twist barrel?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

In a gain twist barrel the land grows wider and the groove narrower as the helix angle (rate of twist) increases toward the muzzle. The bullet not only meets more resistance from the increased friction of lead displacement it also is running up against increased twist resistance. I'm wondering if the increased friction makes the bullet pull on the barrel enough, in the direction the twist is taking it, to overcome the typical helix recoil inertia in the opposite direction.
Seems like a totally different dynamic from an even twist barrel as once the bullet is engraved and on it's way it does not encounter more resistance as it travels up bore.
boge

Post by boge »

mdeland wrote:Question, does a gain twist barrel torque into or away from the direction of twist?

MD, think about what you wrote for a moment.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ok, let me try again. In a right hand gain twist barrel, which direction does the gun torque, in the twist direction or against it?
boge

Post by boge »

The gain twist only accelerates the bullet's rate of spin. It does not defy the laws of physics.

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Docu ... 20Rate.pdf
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

It would have to torque, more or less.........who knows.

Best, DB
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

For that matter, who cares? rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

my fclass rifles, all with rh twists, seem to twist to the right when shot free recoil.
they do this enough to compress the sand in the front bag on the right hand side.
the bpcr rifles , also rh twist, seem to twist to the right as well, gaintwist and straight twist.
none of the above is serious.
like bill says, "who cares?"
the thing is to let it happen the same way each time.
interestingly some of the benchguns with 5" wide offset forearms to counter the torque are offset to the left, which is the opposite of my experience.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

Rifles twist against the rate of twist...IE: Right twist torques to the left..

Terry
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I read that Pope used left hand gain twist in all his personal guns so they would torque into his cheek. He was mainly a Scheutzen guy which means offhand shooting and as far as I know was right handed.
Even pitch rifling torques away from the direction of twist and as most shooters are right handed there guns torque into there cheek against the comb, assuming Pope was right handed and the information correct, why would he make his gain twist to the left, away from his cheek ?
Seems to me that if it was important to one of the finest rifleman this country has ever had and perhaps the best barrel maker in the world, that it should be worth investigating, especially as the range increases and loss of cheek contact against the comb to counter torque is lost.
And lastly , I'm curious about it and obviously care enough to ask the question.
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

I believe Pope was a Schuetzen shooter and targets would normally be no further than 200 yds...or 40 rods: 200 meters...
The smaller calibers like he shot don't seem to have near the torque of the big bores in BPCR. I believe He shot a .32-40 or a .33-40/47 most.
Also the bullets were Normally muzzle loaded which already put the grooves into the bullets. Many of the Schuetzen bullets are tapered also.
Terry
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

Holding your rifle in your left hand, place a screw driver in the slot of one of the screws on the butt plate. Give it a little twist as if to tighten it. What direction does the rifle twist? How would the physical force applied by the screw driver get reversed when a bullet is being propelled down the barrel of that same barrel?
Randy W
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

Think of it as it turns clockwise in a RH twist. from 12-6 on its longitudinal axis it turns to the right. From 6-12 it turns up and left.
If you're a right hand shooter the bottom of the butt stock is turning into your cheek and the top is turning away.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

....and then of course it whips back, Newton's 3rd law.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.