Deprimers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VAshooter

Deprimers

Post by VAshooter »

OK Guys,
Who makes the best depriming tool for using at the range? Where can I get one? I'm shooting a 45/70 AKA 45 2.1. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

VAshooter

I use a lyman 310 hand tool, had to reem out the coller to fit my cases (starline 45/90). look at buffalo Arms web site they have a couple of hand deprimers.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I used my 310 tool for years to reload .45/70. Then some very kind soul told me he had been reloading .45/70 on his Lyman Spar-T turret press for years and it worked just fine. :roll: So I tried it. And I liked it. But now I use a Lyman T-Mag II and have several full turrets. Poor 310 tool is lonely. Would make a good range depriming tool though. :wink:
Lee Stone
Delizar

Cal Graf

Post by Delizar »

Cal Graf makes one that works well for me. Check it out on thier web site.
http://www.cal-graf.com

Mark
deerhuntsheatmeup

Lee Autoprime

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I have the Lee Autoprime tool with the DAT atachment. It deprimes quicker than anything I have seen at the range. Later, David Barfield
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

I use a Lee hand press with a universal de-capping die. Works great. And cheap too, i picked up a new one for $10 at a gun show. I think they go normally for around $25 new.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

VA, I've got what is called the "Pope styled decapper". It's a pretty cool, small and effective tool sold by a couple of people. I got mine from Meacham Rifle. It's color cased, and you can order different shell holdersfor it. Use mine for 38-55 and 40-65 (waiting for the Shiloh to be made next month). I believe it was $85 or so. www.meachamrifle.com. Good Shootin.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

VA, sorry, that is www.meachamrifles.com

Rick
MRich

Post by MRich »

VA:

Get you a Pope style de/re capper. Looks great.

MRich
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I use the Lee Hand Press with Lyman's Universal Decapping Die. I've also found that the hand press will easily load 45-70's using your standard dies.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
rraffl

Deprimers

Post by rraffl »

I made my own. Took a 7/16" brass rod, drilled a 1/16" hole in the end and inserted a short piece of drill rod. Had to taper the rod just a little to clear the fouling. Then I got a maple block and drilled a small hole to fit the shell casing and another hole through the block to let the primer fall out. This was for my 45-90. So far it seems to work well.

Dick Raffl
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I just got one from Jimmy Haggar of Oklahoma. It was $30 shipped, and it works, and it doesn't take up much room in your range bag/box. Mine does both my 45-70 and .43 spanish. I don't have his phone number handy but if you're interested give me a PM and I'll get it for you. It works good.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

I use a lee hand press also. I bought 2 of the one's from Cal-Graph and they both fell apart. Seems like they are a nice design but they sure didn't hold up for me. Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I used the Lee hand press for a long time but I didn't like it taking up so much room in my bag and I forgot the shellholder a couple of times. The Haggar doesn't use shellholders. The Lee hand press works just fine though and you can use it for other loading jobs also, but I like the Haggar better for my purposes.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

If you have a copy of the BPC News, there is an add for a tool made by Mike (I think) Cash. I bought one, and it works great. It is not the most beautiful thing to look at, but works like a charm. The cost (again, I think) is around $25.