Billy Dixon's Shot - Fatal?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Sorry guys.......that was Tim Murphy, not Morgan.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I read that documentation of that sniper shot.It also said that that sniper was high up in a tree to get a higher trajectory to get that shotI dont see how you can disprove a shot like that.It surly can be made.
It's like that artical how far will that Sharps shoot.It sure made a beleaver out of that scientist that said that black powder .59-90 wont shoot that far.
I guess former Shiloh owner Wolfgan Droege and Kirk Bryan,present owner,opend his eyes.
I would like to hear Kirk's input on this,on what the grumbeling was from the brains that said it could'nt be done.

Kurt.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I forgot to say. I was down at the range today shooting my new Shiloh .45-90.I put 20 rounds of paper patched bullets down the barrel to rub out some of the bluing,and later I hung a Bowling pin on a frame at 200 yds.The frame is made out of 3" angle iron 1/8"thick after hitting that pin it spun arround were the string wraped arround the angle and the pin ended up laying on top of the frame with the base of the pin facing my wayso I shot at it and the first shot was low and hit the angle It did'nt penetrate the iron but it sure put a heck of dent in it.

Kurt.

By the way I split the pin with the second shot,It just exploded. :lol:
Slo Smoke

Post by Slo Smoke »

There is always the possibility that the lincoln Co. shot had hit an overhanging limb or maybe some part of the saddle before striking the buckle. This would make it easy to understand how that heavy a bullet could strike a person and not penetrate the body.

Smoke
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Omak,

This is getting bad. We are starting to think too much alike.

When I read rdnck's comment "I have to believe that a piece of lead of this dimension and weight traveling at 850 fps or thereabouts will penetrate any flesh it strikes,"

- The very first thing that crossed my mind was a 1911 A1.

My recollection is muzzle velocity on the standard 1911 A1 is 850 fps w/ hardball. Those appear to work just fine.

I don't have a clue if the Native guy that Dixon shot survived. But, I kind of hope he did. It would be one hell of a story to tell your grandchildren.

Hal

PS. Omak, I really like your staionary. Far more "hearts and flowers" and elegant than I expected. :roll:
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Should read "stationary".

Why don't we have an edit function?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Here is our Version of the Dixion Shot,

MT-Wyo style that is:

A group of fellas heading out of Miles City west, about a year before the Custer fight with the bent of opening a road to Bozeman MT. And to stir up a fight with the Sioux to boot.

One of the fellows in the company is Jack Bean well known rifle shot, Hunter.

Accounts list Jacks rifle as a 40-90 BN Sharps with a 20 pwr Scope.

While the distances are any of 3 listed the nearest one is a tad over 1200 yards and the far yardage is 1750 yards. The recipent of the 420 gr PP bullet was one Shell necklace who had fired upon the group. He Was very Dead after Jack returned fire.

I have seen whats left of a 45-110 slug after its hit steel at 1200 yards as a mater of fact at that range the 14 gauge tank steel had several holes though it from my 45-110 and a 50-90.

I would not want anyone shooting at that range at me with a Sharps.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
flintski

Post by flintski »

Slo Smoke::: :D are you guys going to have a Billy Dixion Shoot this spring/summer. I have about 9 guys that want to show up this year after me telling them how great of a shoot you guys put on last year. You know two of them would be even better. This time I'm bringing the 45-100 and I'm going to hit that indian at 1530. The spotter at the 1530 target said that one of the guys was shooting something that sounded like a bee going by. That was me shooting the 38.
email me on the date and I will get thing started in my area...Bill Flint
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Kenny,

I saw you post about the MT-WY style shots.

Is the Dixon shot the longest RECORDED distance shot ?

Are the longer shots, if any, legendary or documented?

I believe the Dixon shot was surveyed. Were any of the others?

Any ideas?

Hal
Slo Smoke

Post by Slo Smoke »

Fllintski,

Yep! we're going to do it again this yr. June 5th. Sent you a pm.

Anyone else interested in trying the loooooong one :D email me and I'll give you the details.

Smoke
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

A while back there was a link posted here that gave the account of a test by the government using the 45/70. The end result of shooting at a target 30' high and 60' wide and made up of multiple layers of 1" wood with spacers between the layers at a range of 2 miles, the bullets that hit the target were coming in at angle of 65 - 70 degrees, penetrated ALL layers of wood and inpacted 8" into the sand.
I do not think that teepe creeper had a belly harder than that.
trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hal,

The popular story of Jack Bean's shot is said to have been a touch over 1700 yards. Thats the longest one I know of. Some research into it by others suggests it was feasable for the place. It Took place very near the Custer fight site just a year earlier.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Doc,

Is this the article you are refering too:

.45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/targets/sandyhook.htm

Impressive isn't it?
Lee Stone
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Yes lee, That is the article. And yes it is VERY impressive.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I was so impressed by this shooting that I printed it out about a year ago. Now, anytime someone starts poking fun or saying "they couldn't do that", I just go get the article and hand it to them. Usually that either stops the conversation or really starts an interest in it!! I would say that is pretty well documented stuff!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter